Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/08/14 13:47:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] Next release of cloudmonkey and feature requests

Hi,

The current version of cloudmonkey 5.1.0 has couple of bugs that I had fixed in last couple of days, and for past couple of days I’m refactoring and enhancing it and will start a voting thread for a bugfix release.

I’m also thinking of introducing python plugin support so people can write plugins to change and enhance cloudmonkey’s behaviour on the fly which can be either installed in user’s ~/.cloudmonkey/plugins or via pypi and globally importable. Other ideas are to implement bash/zsh autocompleter and a bash/sh library to parse and extract cloudmonkey’s output so people can reuse that without writing their own sed/awk/grep hacks.

Any comments on the above and other features you would like to have, any bug fixing that should be addressed.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +41 779015219 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next release of cloudmonkey and feature requests

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

I think we’re ready to do next release of cloudmonkey, please go ahead and test out cloudmonkey using latest master. Please go through the changelog and advise on the compatibility issues.

The wiki docs were updated, this notes the new multiple profiles feature:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+cloudmonkey+CLI#CloudStackcloudmonkeyCLI-Managementserverprofiles

Compatibility issues:
- With next release (5.2.0) we won’t have host, port, protocol and path params; instead a mgmt server URL can be set
- Missing keys will be set to default and saved by cloudmonkey before starting

Changelog:
Version 5.2.0
=============
This release includes
 - In the config [server] section is deprecated now
 - For missing keys, cloudmonkey will set default values
 - Network requests, json decoding and shell related bugfixes
 - Based on platform, it will install either pyreadline (Windows) or readline (OSX and Linux)
 - Config param removal of `protocol`, `host`, `port`, `path`; uses `url` for the mgmt server URL
 - Introduces server profiles so users can use cloudmonkey with different hosts and management server configs
 - A default profile under the section [local] is added with default values
 - Everytime `set` is called, cloudmonkey will write the config and reload config file

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Lucian,

So, I’ve started a voting thread for the release. You may find the candidate artifacts here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cloudstack/cloudmonkey-5.2.0/

If all goes well we would release it on Friday and party :)

Cheers.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.