Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ken Hancock <ke...@schange.com> on 2015/01/23 17:28:13 UTC

BytesType and UTF8Type

I have some thrift column families that were created with BytesType.  All
the data written to the keys/columns/values were simple string.

In cassandra-cli, I can "correct" these to UTF8Type (I believe both
UTF8Type and BytesType are serialized similarly?) but I can't convert these
blobs to text via CQL.

(1) if my strings are all ascii, is it safe to "correct" the validation
classes?
(2) is the cql restriction merely a safety mechanism that cassandra-cli is
lacking?

Thanks,

Ken

Re: BytesType and UTF8Type

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Ken Hancock <ke...@schange.com>
wrote:

> I have some thrift column families that were created with BytesType.  All
> the data written to the keys/columns/values were simple string.
>
> In cassandra-cli, I can "correct" these to UTF8Type (I believe both
> UTF8Type and BytesType are serialized similarly?) but I can't convert these
> blobs to text via CQL.
>
> (1) if my strings are all ascii, is it safe to "correct" the validation
> classes?

It is, provided your initial assumption ("my strings are all ascii") is
actually true.

> (2) is the cql restriction merely a safety mechanism that cassandra-cli is
> lacking?

It is.

--
Sylvain