Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Greider, Herman J. (LNG)" <He...@lexisnexis.com> on 2001/12/19 18:58:32 UTC

JMX Support

It's been a couple months since I've seen anything posted on
JMX support in 1.2. But, I did do a search on the CVS mailing
list and saw the change in the intro manual:

Log4j is now configurable using JMX. JMX support is not of
production quality. [*]

Is there anything specifically not production quality? Looking
at the code, it seems essentially there. Though, I haven't
tried it out as yet.

Your JMXAgent is sparse, but I would expect that to be mostly
for testing (I suppose it could be moved to a separate package).
For our purposes, we are currently using our own proprietary
JMXAgent and Adaptor (a little sparse on capabilities, but
that's completely adequate for now). I would probably steal the
registration code from the JMXAgent and do that in our
implementation anyway.

We are very interested in this capability because we have
JMX-enabled many of our other management components.

The alternative is to provide our own MBean wrapper around
the log4j components we need to manage. But, if the built-in
capability is close, I'd rather wait for that.

Thanks,
Herm Greider
Consulting Software Engineer
LexisNexis