Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Chris Blackburn <cb...@stinkytoe.com> on 2003/11/19 01:01:47 UTC

Re: Including multiple servlets from a jsp page.[Now: Tiles Help]

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I needed. Now I just need a
little advice on working with Tiles.
Do I need to have a tiles definition for every single different view?

 I will give a small example.

<definition name="page.default" path="/templates/index.jsp">
  <put name="head" value="/common/head.jsp" />
  <put name="centersection" value="center.section" />
  <put name="bottomtable" value="/common/bottomtable.jsp" />
 </definition>
<definition name="center.section" path="/templates/centersection.jsp">
  <put name="leftbar" value="left.bar" />
  <put name="mainsection" value="/common/mainsection.jsp" />
 </definition>
<definition name="left.bar" path="/templates/leftbar.jsp">
  <put name="first" value="/common/navigation.jsp" />
  <put name="second" value="list.events" />
 </definition>

This will give me the look for my front page. But lets say once you log
in, you have a different 'left.bar'. So I would have to add:

<definition name="login.page.default" extends="stinkytoe.default">
  <put name="centersection" value="login.center.section" />
 </definition>
<definition name="login.center.section" extends="center.section">
  <put name="leftbar" value="login.left.bar" />
 </definition>
<definition name="login.left.bar" extends="left.bar">
  <put name="second" value="/common/userinfo.jsp" />
 </definition>

That seems like a ton of work for each new view. If my 'mainsection' is
my content area, that means I need to add 2 definitions for each new
content page? Is there a way to dynamically insert a page as the
'mainsection' Am I missing something here?

Thanks again,

Chris