Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kalyan Akella <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/30 04:48:20 UTC

Maven runs surefire plugin for testing by default. How to change this?

Hi,

Recently, I developed a Java-based maven plugin intended to run in the test
phase of the maven build instead of the standard surefire-plugin. It has
just one goal, 'test'. When I configured my project's POM to include my
plugin for the testing phase and made sure the POM doesn't refernce surefire
anywhere, maven still invokes the surefire:test goal during the test phase.
Could someone please help me how to avoid maven running surefire plugin and
instead run mine.

Here are the details of my plugin POM and that of the Project POM:

Plugin POM:
<project>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>sample.plugin</groupId>
    <artifactId>maven-sample-plugin</artifactId>
    <packaging>maven-plugin</packaging>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <name>My Sample Plugin</name>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
            <artifactId>maven-plugin-api</artifactId>
            <version>2.0</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
          <artifactId>maven-artifact</artifactId>
          <version>2.0</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>junit</groupId>
            <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
            <version>4.4</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
    <build>
        <pluginManagement>
            <plugins>
                <plugin>
                    <configuration>
                        <source>1.5</source>
                        <target>1.5</target>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
            </plugins>
        </pluginManagement>
    </build>
</project>

Project POM:
<project>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>sample.project</groupId>
    <artifactId>hello</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <name>Hello World</name>
    <modules>
        <module>test</module>
    </modules>
    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>dev</id>
            <build>
                <filters>
                    <filter>${filters.dir}/dev-env.properties</filter>
                </filters>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <groupId>sample.plugin</groupId>
                        <artifactId>maven-sample-plugin</artifactId>
                        <version>1.0</version>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <goals>
                                    <goal>test</goal>
                                </goals>
                                <phase>test</phase>

<inherited>false</inherited>
                            </execution>
                        </executions>
                        <configuration>
                            <goalPrefix>nfs</goalPrefix>
                            <includes>
                                <param>.*Test.class</param>
                            </includes>
                            <excludes>
                                <param>.*Abstract.*Test.class</param>
                                <param>.*$.*.class</param>
                                <param>.*Poller.*.class</param>
                            </excludes>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
    </profiles>
    <build>
        <pluginManagement>
            <plugins>
                <plugin>
                    <configuration>
                        <source>1.5</source>
                        <target>1.5</target>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
                <plugin>
                    <groupId>sample.plugin</groupId>
                    <artifactId>maven-sample-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>1.0</version>
                    <executions>
                        <execution>
                            <phase>test</phase>
                            <goals>
                                <goal>test</goal>
                            </goals>
                        </execution>
                    </executions>
                    <configuration>
                        <!--<goalPrefix>nfs</goalPrefix>-->
                        <includes>
                            <param>.*Test.class</param>
                        </includes>
                        <excludes>
                            <param>.*Abstract.*Test.class</param>
                            <param>.*$.*.class</param>
                        </excludes>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
<!-- Commented out maven-surefire-plugin
                <plugin>
                    <version>2.3</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <excludes>
                            <exclude>**/Abstract*Test.java</exclude>
                            <exclude>**/Abstract*TestCase.java</exclude>
                            <exclude>**/Data*Poller*.java</exclude>
                            <exclude>**/*$*</exclude>
                        </excludes>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
                <plugin>
                    <artifactId>maven-surefire-report-plugin</artifactId>
                    <configuration>
                        <showSuccess>false</showSuccess>
                    </configuration>
                    <version>2.0</version>
                    <executions>
                        <execution>
                            <goals>
                                <goal>report</goal>
                            </goals>
                            <phase>test</phase>
                        </execution>
                    </executions>
                </plugin>
-->
            </plugins>
        </pluginManagement>
    </build>
</project>

Moreover, I included the following annotations while coding this plugin:
@requiresDependencyResolution test
@phase test
@goal test

Please help me. Thank you.
Sincere Regards,
Kalyan.

Re: Maven runs surefire plugin for testing by default. How to change this?

Posted by Kalyan Akella <ka...@gmail.com>.
Ok. I resolved the issue. The problem is that, I must use the "
maven.test.skip.exec" parameter and not the "maven.test.skip" parameter
while suppressing surefire. Using the former causes the test class
compilation to occur but not their execution, which is what I need, while
the latter suppresses the test class compilation itself. Thanks for all the
help.

Thank you.
Kalyan.

Posted by Kalyan Akella <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Send me your plugin and a sample project with tests and I'll take a
look.

On 31 Oct 07, at 5:20 PM 31 Oct 07, Kalyan Akella wrote:

> Moreover, when I set the maven.skip.test to true, apart from not
> invoking my
> test plugin, maven, doesn't even compile the test sources as is
> evident from
> the following logs:
>
> [INFO] [resources:testResources]
> [INFO] Using default encoding to copy filtered resources.
> [INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
> [INFO] Not compiling test sources
> [INFO] [surefire:test]
> [INFO] Tests are skipped.
> [INFO] [war:war]
> [INFO] Exploding webapp...
>
> This is an even bigger problem which means that even if I
> eventually, get my
> test plugin to work it doesn't find any test classes to execute! Is
> this a
> problem with Maven or my configuration. Please help.
>
> Thank you.
> Kalyan

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Maven runs surefire plugin for testing by default. How to change this?

Posted by Kalyan Akella <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 31 Oct 07, at 6:57 AM 31 Oct 07, Kalyan Akella wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Thank you for the response. However, even after setting the
> maven.skip.testparameter to 'true' in my main POM, the maven build
> cycle doesn't still
> invoke my plugin in the testing phase. It simply skips the
> surefire:test
> phase and proceeds to the consequent phases. Is there anything I am
> missing
> in my plugin-configuration. Please help me.

If you're developing a plugin you have to make sure your plugin is
setup to run in the test phase, and you also need to configure it in
your POM to run. You've done these things and you can't get your
plugin to run in the test phase?

> Thank you.
> Kalyan.
>

> On 10/31/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 30 Oct 07, at 1:06 AM 30 Oct 07, Kalyan Akella wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Brett,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response. However, the skip parameter
>>> (maven.test.skip) skips
>>> running tests itself. Morever, it is only consumed by the surefire
>>> plugin.
>>
>> Surefire is baked into the default lifecycle, you will currently need
>> to configure Surefire to skip so that you can use your own plugin in
>> its place. We know override the baked in plugins is a pain, but you
>> can work around this case by just shutting off Surefire with a
>> configuration and then using your.

>>> dont want surefire to show up at all during the test phase. I need
>>> my plugin
>>> to take control of the test phase instead of the surefire plugin. I
>>> shall
>>> also post this message to the users list as well.
>>>

>> You can't knock out Surefire without hacking our default lifecycle
>> execution so you're stuck with the skip parameter with Surefire so
>> that only your test plugin will run. This is something we definitely
>> need to fix as many people are just interested in setting their own,
>> say a simple TestNG plugin, and not have to use Surefire at all.
>> Right
>> now you're forced to use Surefire.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kalyan

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Maven runs surefire plugin for testing by default. How to change this?

Posted by Kalyan Akella <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Kalyan Akella <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the response. However, the skip parameter (maven.test.skip) skips
running tests itself. Morever, it is only consumed by the surefire plugin. I

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org