Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> on 2006/10/07 19:08:03 UTC

Dual Database Connections for Security and Performance

Hi

I was doing some research the other day, and heard a rather interesting
idea that has me wondering.

The suggestion was for all web applications to open two database
connections, one as read-only, and one with all the normal permissions.

The reader was purported to be faster as well as being automatically
protected from all sql injections because of its limited read-only
privileges.

In addition, this reader could be later assigned to a replicated read
only database in clustered applications which would greatly improve
overall performance.

I don't know which connection would be better to use with transactional
queries.

A link that discusses the small performance improvement in a non-
replicated situation that was observed in an Oracle database.

http://www.dba-
oracle.com/oracle_tips_read_only_tablespace_performance.htm

Is this a worthwhile idea?

Thanks

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.SatelliteRadioZone.com
http://www.Cards-Visa.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com

Re: Dual Database Connections for Security and Performance

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
this would be a individual setup.
I don't believe every DB have all these capabilities.
Also since most transaction require r/w only views could be used in read
only. this means changing a lot of code, I think.

Daniel Kunkel sent the following on 10/7/2006 10:08 AM: