Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Brad Grier <br...@salusnovus.com> on 2010/11/10 23:57:51 UTC

Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

I recently upgraded our app from 1.4.12 to 1.4.13. Our app has an admin screen that shows the current session size using Session’s getSizeInBytes method. This screen is just a panel that gets replaced/refreshed via Ajax when a link is clicked. Today I noticed that every time I clicked the link to reload the panel the session size grows by around 3000 KB and never does a gc. If I roll back to 1.4.12 and the problem goes away.

In the Netbeans profiler, the only thing I see spiraling out of control are byte[] objects (serialized objects?). Nothing unusual appears with the size or number of my application specific objects. For now I’m rolling back to 1.4.12 as I’m not sure how this is affecting things outside this specific screen.

Thanks.

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
If those commits turn out to be the problem, I'll try to fix them while
still fixing the reported issues in that JIRA. It will be difficult to to
without a quickstart that demonstrates the issue you are now having, or at
least a good idea of how to create one.

Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com
-- sent from my "smart" phone, so please excuse spelling, formatting, or
compiler errors

On Nov 11, 2010 7:06 AM, "Martijn Dashorst" <ma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

It is real, in our application we encountered this as well, but
thought it was something we did wrong. Switching to httpsessionstore
solved our immediate problem, so we didn't think to investigate
further.

The culprit might be the commits related to

If you could, revert those changes in a local wicket copy and see if
the problem still persists.

Initial investigation shows that it is not easy to reproduce.

Martijn

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I believe the original posters said he used a profiler
On Nov 12, 2010 1:46 AM, "Nico Guba" <ng...@mac.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't a profiler help pinpoint the culprit?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 12 Nov 2010, at 00:06, Mark Doyle <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't have any details to add except I say I saw this today too.
>>
>> I have a page with a lot of ajax panels on that are switched in and out.
If
>> I refreshed the page without doing anything the session size would grow
>> continuously.
>>
>> I also noticed some odd memory size (2.1MB +) related to the
>> AutoCompleteBehaviour.
>>
>> I switched back to 1.4.12 and it seems to have disappeared.
>>

>> EDIT: I still get the large sizes related to the AutoCompleteBehavior
>> (although not as large) so that's probably something stupid I have done
:)

>> From session inspector:
>>
>> -
Interface[target:SolrSearchFormPanel$SolrQueryForm$1(basicSearch:searchForm:solrSearchForm:searchKeyword),

org.apache.wicket.extensions.ajax.markup.html.autocomplete.AutoCompleteBehavior$1@191ac0df

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-3108?focusedCommentId=12931123&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12931123

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Nico Guba <ng...@mac.com>.

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Mark Doyle <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I don't have any details to add except I say I saw this today too.

I have a page with a lot of ajax panels on that are switched in and out.  If
I refreshed the page without doing anything the session size would grow
continuously.

I also noticed some odd memory size (2.1MB +) related to the
AutoCompleteBehaviour.

I switched back to 1.4.12 and it seems to have disappeared.

EDIT: I still get the large sizes related to the AutoCompleteBehavior
(although not as large) so that's probably something stupid I have done :)

      From session inspector:

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Pedro Santos <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys, can you give a try?

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Brad Grier <br...@salusnovus.com>.

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Looks right. Use 1.4-snapshot

Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com
-- sent from my "smart" phone, so please excuse spelling, formatting, or
compiler errors

On Nov 14, 2010 10:18 PM, "Brad Grier" <br...@salusnovus.com> wrote:

I added the following from a cursory google search. Does that look right?
What do I use for the wicket.version?

<repository>
  <id>wicket-snaps</id>
  <url>http://wicketstuff.org/maven/repository</url>
  <snapshots>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
  </snapshots>
  <releases>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
  </releases>
</repository>

-----Original Message----- From: Jeremy Thomerson
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:56 PM

To: users@wicket.apache.org

Do you have the wicketstuff maven ...
*Need a CMS for Wicket?  Use Brix! http://brixcms.org*

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Brad Grier <br...@salusnovus.com>.
Not sure about getting the latest via Maven but I downloaded the
wicket-1.4-20101115.002008-240.jar (from the URL below) and installed it
manually. I can confirm that the memory leak is gone.

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/org/apache/wicket/wicket/1.4-SNAPSHOT/

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Re: Memory Leak in 1.4.13?