Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com> on 2011/06/20 17:41:35 UTC

Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

The artifacts for javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 seem to have disappeared from
central [1].  They still appear in the Sonatype search [2].  Does anyone
know what happened to these files?   Were they removed because of a bad
license or something?

[1]http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/servlet/jstl/
[2]http://search.maven.org/#search|gav|1|g%3A%22javax.servlet%22%20AND%20a%3A%22jstl%22

Re: Missing javax.servlet:jstl:1.2

Posted by Juven Xu <ju...@sonatype.com>.
The old jstl 1.2 in central was wrong, so I deleted it and get help from
Oracle to deploy a correct version.

more info here: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-71

Posted by Alexander Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.
On 07:56:25 PM Thursday, June 23, 2011 Anders Hammar wrote:
> But of course. But if you read the jira ticket, you'll notice that the
> reason for the change was that the old artifact was simply the wrong one.

Simply! So you're saying that keeping the wrong artifact is better than fixing
it with the proper one? I can't agree with this. So we should assume that
everyone should be informed that javax.servlet:jstl:1.2 is the wrong version.
This can not scale. Such problems should be properly fixed even if they break
few builds instead of making it hard for people doing development.

Alexander Kurtakov

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
I'll find out more about what happened here. In general things don't
get changed or removed once it hit's Central. There are sometimes
judgement calls that need to be made so it's not iron clad.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
could you put a redirect to the new artifact in?

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
This problem resulted because java.net projects are being moved into
Central. There was a conflict between what they had and what's in
Central. The old artifact is being put back in place. People that want
to correct one will have to use the new gav.

The point about why this shouldn't be changed is that although someone
thinks they were using 1.2, they were in fact using 1.1 and apparently
happy doing so. Forcing them to suddenly have 1.2 would result in
breakage.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I think it gets a bit more complicated. javax.jstl-1.2 was definitely available on the java.net m2 repo. Thus you had 2 artifacts with the same GAV but _different_ content. This has been a russian roulette so far depending if the java.net repo got sucked upfront or not.

We now track the origin, but what do we do if the md5 and sha1 from the one repo doesn't mach the one from another repo?

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.