Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com> on 2003/03/11 01:33:26 UTC

RFC: Wiki Turbine 2 User's Guide Outline

Hello.

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaTurbine2UsersGuide

I created an ultra-rough-draft outline for the Wiki Turbine User's Guide
that we have wanted for some time now.  I would greatly appreciate it if
everybody takes a look at the outline to judge it for:

*Completeness
*Logical Organization

If you think of something that is missing or feel that a topic belongs in a
different category, then make a note of it by doing one of the following:

*Make the change on the wiki directly
*Send a note to the list and somebody will implement the change
*Send an email to me directly and I will implement the change

Once we are generally happy with the outline, I will set us all to work on
filling it in.

A quick note about editing the wiki:  please be sure to place your name near
the change AND supply a comment when saving the page.  This helps to
elaborate the conversation that Wiki's facilitate.

Thank you,

Chris

RE: RFC: Wiki Turbine 2 User's Guide Outline

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> I have an idea. I think some of the documentation that already exists
> gets overlooked by newcomers because it's organized poorly. As an
> example, the TDK how-to has some important basics about developing an
> app with Turbine, yet people don't read it because it's under TDK on the
> site. I'm waiting for a response from Michael C. Starkie regarding the
> thread "newbie create new table" to verify this.
>
> I suggest we reorganize the docs, although I don't have a specific
> recommendation.
>
> What do you think?

Definitely!

Humberto Hernandez was also speaking earlier this week about improving how
we position Turbine, which is certainly something we must do.

I pretty much envision the user's guide as eventually replacing the majority
of the Turbine documentation.  MySQL is a good example, in my opinion.  A
single reference manual will increase the likelihood that it remains
up-to-date by keeping all the information in one place.

A manual won't really cater directly to people perusing the site looking for
a new framework (although having one will help position Turbine as having
good support and a strong community).  Consequently, we would still need
additional information geared towards positioning Turbine for potential new
users.

With these in mind, the areas of documentation might be something like:

*Introductory "Why Use Turbine" Information
*Quick Start Tutorial (Build a sample app)
*Maven-generated Information (Changes, javadoc, etc.)
*Complete Manual (Concepts, Migration, Troubleshooting, Known Issues, etc.
SEARCHABLE)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Posted by Eric Emminger <er...@ericemminger.com>.
Chris

> I had previously considered your suggestion about the Torque and Velocity
> documentation.  My conclusion was to include the basics of each so as to get
> new user's started without having to scour several websites and user-lists.
> This is particularly true with Torque, which has quite poor documentation.
> In retrospect, without the TDK I never would have been able to learn the
> Torque concepts.

Right.

> I also supposed it would be helpful if the information came heavily from the
> Turbine perspective, which is something that would be missing with links to
> the official Torque and Velocity documentation.  "Okay, so I can do a
> #foreach now, but how does that relate to my Screen class and the List that
> I need to display?".

That's a really good point. I agree. :)

> Still, as developers we decouple code, and we should likewise decouple
> documentation.
>
> What about a combination of the two...contribute lacking documentation to
> the other projects, link to it, then write an concept-adaptor to bring the
> concept back into Turbine?

Sounds great.

I have an idea. I think some of the documentation that already exists
gets overlooked by newcomers because it's organized poorly. As an
example, the TDK how-to has some important basics about developing an
app with Turbine, yet people don't read it because it's under TDK on the
site. I'm waiting for a response from Michael C. Starkie regarding the
thread "newbie create new table" to verify this.

I suggest we reorganize the docs, although I don't have a specific
recommendation.

What do you think?

Eric

RE: RFC: Wiki Turbine 2 User's Guide Outline

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
Eric,

Thanks for looking at the outline!

Posted by Eric Emminger <er...@ericemminger.com>.