Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com> on 2017/07/18 12:18:10 UTC

Sentry 2.0.0 depends on multiple versions of Hive

Hello all,

Sentry currently supports Hive1.1.0 and Hive 2.0.0 based on the profile
used. I'm currently working on sentry 2.0.0 release upstream to integrate
with Hive 2.1.1.

I'm sending this mail seeking inputs on what is the support we need in
Sentry 2.0.0 release. Would that be just Hive 2.x or both Hive 2.x and Hive
1.1.0?

I'm not sure if we should be supporting Hive 1.1.0 in sentry 2.0.0. As Hive
1.1.0 is pretty old and the notification log implementation in this version
which Sentry-HA is dependent on has a lot of bugs which are fixed in later
releases. Considering this, shouldn't we integrate sentry in release 2.0.0
 with Hive 2.1.1 and say that it would no more support older versions of
Hive?

Here are some of the approaches that we could take for Hive integration for
sentry 2.0.0 release.

*Approach-1:* Maintain support for both Hive 1.1.0 and Hive 2.1.1
*Approach-2: *Maintain support for both Hive 1.1.0 and Hive 2.1.1 for now
and remove it by the time sentry 2.0.0 is released.
*Approach-3:* Remove support for Hive 1.1.0 now.

*Downside* for Approach 1 and 2 is that we need to put in lot of effort to
have them work together as Hive 2.1.1 has a lot of API's changes which need
changes to a lot classes in sentry-binding package but still maintain
backward compatibility.
If we want to take approach-1 for any reason, it's worth putting that
effort otherwise we could take approach-3.

My next steps would be based on what I hear form the community.

-Kalyan

Re: Sentry 2.0.0 depends on multiple versions of Hive

Posted by Sergio Pena <se...@cloudera.com>.
Kalyan,

I cherry-picked HIVE-17048 to all 2.x versions: 2.1.2, 2.2.1,2.3.1 and 2.4.0

They are not released yet, but as soon as one of them is released, then we
can bump the Hive version of Sentry to the new version.

- Sergio

Posted by Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <kk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mat Crocker <ma...@cloudera.com>.