Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2002/12/13 18:43:55 UTC

[C2.1] - About components lookup and release....

Hi,

In the current model every component dveloper must take care of lookup()
and release() every resource it takes from the ComponentManager.

I think this is a bad practice. Why?

It remember me the old MS Windows days 3.0 (to at least Windows Me). When
a bad written applications (in the case of Cocoon, read component) can
hang all the system.

There is an analogy to the current model of Cocoon:

If your component "forget" release the resource it lookups before, then it
will start to "eat" all the memory and you will have soon or later an "Out
of Memory Error" and the need to restart the server. :-(

I propose to find another way to manage the componets and get away this
issue.

Why every component developer MUST lookup() and release(). I think the
lookup() is fine to define the components a component need. But the
release() must be done by the ComponentManager (Its my point of view).

For example, the ComponentManager must take care of what and when
"release" a resource.

I hope the above catch my point of view. Thanks for get this comment in
the correct way. I dont need to say that I still love Cocoon!

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: [C2.1] - About components lookup and release....

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Thanks Stefano.
>
> I think this is a very important issue. I am glad that my voice is listen
> from you.

I try to listen to everybody, expecially when they criticize. The nice
(IMO) thing about this community is that this is an attitude that is
shared by many if not all.

> I know I am too new to this project but I think my experience
> can helps a little too.

Nobody is too new to help.

> Please sorry for my english. I know sometimes it looks strong, but this is
> the only way I can write what i mean. I learned it in the net.

You don't have to be sorry for your english. I am sorry that we can't
let everybody use their native language, but this is the way it is and
english seems like the better communication solution.

> I am reading the book of Carsten and Matthew for 2nd time. Now with more
> experience to try to get some more tips that can helps to improve Cocoon.
> As soon as I will find new issues I will post it here.

Any help (as well as criticism) will be appreciated, not only by me but
from everybody around here. So, don't be shy :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [C2.1] - About components lookup and release....

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Thanks Stefano.

I think this is a very important issue. I am glad that my voice is listen
from you. I know I am too new to this project but I think my experience
can helps a little too.

Please sorry for my english. I know sometimes it looks strong, but this is
the only way I can write what i mean. I learned it in the net.

I am reading the book of Carsten and Matthew for 2nd time. Now with more
experience to try to get some more tips that can helps to improve Cocoon.
As soon as I will find new issues I will post it here.

Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.