Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Eric Kolve <er...@corp.classmates.com> on 2001/06/12 01:15:15 UTC

Apache::DBI / DBD::Oracle error

I recently upgraded to DBI 1.18 + DBD::Oracle 1.07 and upon restarts
with mod_perl, I get the following error:

DBD::Oracle::db rollback failed: Error while trying to retrieve text for
error ORA-03113 (DBD ERROR: OCITransRollback) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/DBI.pm line 153.

I am running Apache::DBI 0.88.

I didn't see this error with DBI 1.14 + DBD::Oracle 1.06.  Anyone have
any ideas?

--eric

Re: Apache::DBI / DBD::Oracle error

Posted by Ronald J Kimball <rj...@focalex.com>.
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 04:15:15PM -0700, Eric Kolve wrote:
> I recently upgraded to DBI 1.18 + DBD::Oracle 1.07 and upon restarts
> with mod_perl, I get the following error:
>
> DBD::Oracle::db rollback failed: Error while trying to retrieve text for
> error ORA-03113 (DBD ERROR: OCITransRollback) at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/Apache/DBI.pm line 153.

An error while retrieving the text for an error message may mean that
ORACLE_HOME is not set properly.

Ronald

Re: Apache::DBI / DBD::Oracle error

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Mark Vandenbroeck wrote:

> There seems to be some confusion and even incorrectness in this trail. Let's get
> some things straight :

Thanks for setting me straight!

73,
Ged.

Re: Apache::DBI / DBD::Oracle error

Posted by Mark Vandenbroeck <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hi all,

There seems to be some confusion and even incorrectness in this trail. Let's get
some things straight :

   * There is nothing wrong with NLS_LANG. In fact, it is extremely useful in an
     international setting. Your value is fine.
   * ORA_NLS33 is obsolete in 8.1.7 and should not be set
   * Failure to translate error number to text : Oracle constructs the name of
     it's message file from the ORACLE_HOME, plus some path, some language code
     and some product code. You get the error when it can't find the message
     file. Either the file doesn't exist (shouldn't happen) or it can't find
     it. Best guess is the ORACLE_HOME is not set or not set correctly.
   * You can always find the error text yourself in
     $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mesg/oraus.msg by grepping for the error number
   * First step to tackle an ORA-3113 ("End-of-file on Communication Channel") is
     _always_ to find the tracefile in user_dump_dest on the server side and
     interpret what's in there. The stuff in there is not usually fit for human
     consumption, but intended for Oracle Support. Nevertheless, it contains all
     the clues. I should know, I did this kind of support for 7 years.

Hope this helps,

Mark

--
Mark Vandenbroeck                      Mobile : +32-495-59.55.62
Business Process Manager               Email  : Mark.Vandenbroeck@oracle.com

Re: Apache::DBI / DBD::Oracle error

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi again,

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Eric Kolve wrote:

> Yes, I have NLS_LANG set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1.

I seemed to get on better by removing NLS_LANG and ORA_NLS33 from
my environment altogether.

> BTW, I am also using the latest oracle client libs (8.17) if this
> makes any difference;

Dunno!

Posted by Eric Kolve <er...@corp.classmates.com>.
Yes, I have NLS_LANG set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1. BTW, I am
also using the latest oracle client libs (8.17) if this makes any
difference; as well, I am using perl 5.005.

--eric

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,