Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Lu Heng <h....@anytimechinese.com> on 2012/07/16 01:03:55 UTC

can a vm larger than a host?

Hi

I am wondering is that a way to deploy a VM that larger than host(so
combine two host's recourse to run single VM), seems to me it is not
possible now, I was wondering will this possibility exists in the
future.

e.g a customer want to have a 128GB RAM VM but our host server only
have 32 GB as standard.

Kind regards.
Lu

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee(s) shown above.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination or use
of this transmission or its contents by persons other than the
intended addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify this office immediately and
e-mail the original at the sender's address above by replying to this
message and including the text of the transmission received.

Re: can a vm larger than a host?

Posted by James Kahn <jk...@idea11.com.au>.
Lu,

Yes, you will need a host with greater than 128GB RAM. You also need
overhead for the hypervisor.

Some hypervisors do support memory overcommit (and CloudStack does not),
but none of them can perform that kind of magic.

Cheers,
JK.

Posted by Lu Heng <h....@anytimechinese.com>.
Hi