Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/04/05 03:14:02 UTC

2.3 for 1.3? (was Counting down to 1.2.1)

So, I'm going to knuckle down and do whatever we need to do to get 1.2.1 ready to cut this week.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if we want to just bite the bullet and move the minimum to servlet 2.3 for the Struts 1.3.x series?

People using 2.2 can still use 1.2.x, and having 2.3 available might simplify some of the configuration discussions we're having now.

Struts 2.0 is being slated for 2.4, so it's a clean continuum.

As to the subproject reorg, I'd imagine we'd still keep taglib-classic on 2.2, and taglib-jstl and taglib-faces on 2.3.

-Ted.

Re: 2.3 for 1.3? (was Counting down to 1.2.1)

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Isn't this supposed to be "Jericho"?  If it is "Jerico", that will cause
great confusion on Google with Jerico Beach, the island of Java and the use
of struts on airplanes.  For an example of this, cf.
http://www.airmuseum.ca/exag0309.html.  My understanding is that it is
called "Jericho" because it tears down the walls by providing interfaces
for major components.  Is that right?

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Joe Germuska wrote:

>> Struts 1.x then remains Servlet 2.2, JSP 1.1, Java 1.2.
>>
>> Struts 2.x (fka 1.3.x) can then be Servlet 2.3, JSP 1.2, and Java 1.3.
>>
>> Struts 3.x (fka 2.x) can then be Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0, as planned.
>

> If we are going to depend on Servlet 2.3, then I think it's probably
> worth changing the major version number.

>> So why not just label want we were going to do in 1.3.x as Struts
>> 2.x, and start calling Jericho (or whatever else we do -- it's just a
>> whiteboard) 3.x ?
>

> However, I don't know if I believe it's worth the potential confusion
> and management overhead to switch to 2.3 "just because".  I do think
> it's true that Struts can set an example and help people become
> familiar with new technologies, but why not do Struts 1.3 as we've
> planned it, unless someone has specific features they want to apply
> that we require?

That sounds reasonable, however to allow collaboration/many sets of
eyes, we need CVS space to try out different approaches.
Can we do that with minimal effort, ie without branching  the code ?
When we do get to the point of  needing a straw man struts CVS 2.0
version we could either branching or starting clean ? I'd vote for
branching, that way there is something to start with.
However, I would BRANCH 2_0 and keep 1.2.X as the main trunk. That way
ii takes and effort to get to the strust 2.

Re: 2.3 for 1.3? (was Counting down to 1.2.1)

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>Struts 1.x then remains Servlet 2.2, JSP 1.1, Java 1.2.
>
>Struts 2.x (fka 1.3.x) can then be Servlet 2.3, JSP 1.2, and Java 1.3.
>
>Struts 3.x (fka 2.x) can then be Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0, as planned.

If we are going to depend on Servlet 2.3, then I think it's probably
worth changing the major version number.

>So why not just label want we were going to do in 1.3.x as Struts
>2.x, and start calling Jericho (or whatever else we do -- it's just
>a whiteboard) 3.x ?

However, I don't know if I believe it's worth the potential confusion
and management overhead to switch to 2.3 "just because".  I do think
it's true that Struts can set an example and help people become
familiar with new technologies, but why not do Struts 1.3 as we've
planned it, unless someone has specific features they want to apply
that we require?

In summary, I'd say "stay the course" until there's a specific
proposal to use Servlet 2.3 features , but if we start using 2.3
features, we should bump the major version.  But it seems to me that
any interesting use of Servlet 2.3 is probably going to involve other
sizeable refactorings that would also justify incrementing the major
version number.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: 2.3 for 1.3? (was Counting down to 1.2.1)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:

>So, I'm going to knuckle down and do whatever we need to do to get 1.2.1 ready to cut this week.
>
>In the meantime, I'm wondering if we want to just bite the bullet and move the minimum to servlet 2.3 for the Struts 1.3.x series?

I have been thinking this for a long time. Folks will still have the
1.2.X release series.

It may be possible for 1.3 struts to remain backwards compatable, but to
start experimenting with
servlet 2.3 features. I had thought about taking a poll, but now think
better of that.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:30:09 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> Oh. I thought I was supposed to be cutting it this weekend (at your
> suggestion ;). The only reason that's not actually done is because
> CVS is locking up on me (in the Struts repo only). Should I not be
> trying to do this?

There are nine problem tickets that should be addressed, one way or the other, including one for the mailing list address. I can take care of these early this week, so we can roll it this weekend or before (if that works for you).

We (meaning I) should also put up something on the webstie about the TLP transition, to ease the confusion. :)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

I feel pretty strongly that we shouldn't be breaking backwards compatibility
in a point release.

> People using 2.2 can still use 1.2.x, and having 2.3 available
> might simplify some of the configuration discussions we're having now.

I haven't caught up completely on that thread yet. (Long messages sometimes
get pushed down on my stack, I'm afraid, and I was trying to focus on
1.2.1.) What is it about moving to 2.3 that would help (other than allowing
for the mechanism I suggested, which would be optional anyway)?

> Struts 2.0 is being slated for 2.4, so it's a clean continuum.
>
> As to the subproject reorg, I'd imagine we'd still keep
> taglib-classic on 2.2, and taglib-jstl and taglib-faces on 2.3.

Right now (or at least after 1.2.1 is out), I think we need to focus on the
other parts of our TLP move. I'll start a separate thread on that.

--
Martin Cooper