Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Dodd <md...@vocus.com> on 2011/10/27 23:34:19 UTC

Passing system parameters to solr at runtime

I've been given the project of setting up a CentOS-based solr replication slave for a project here at work.  I think it's configured correctly, and replication seems to be happening correctly.

I've got some CentOS experience, but I'm having to get up to speed on Solr in a short period of time.  The guy who was working on this piece of the project is no longer available and I'm not sure he knew what he was doing anyway.

The main problem I'm having is that the project lead wants to make sure the slaves have master disabled for all cores without changing the solrconfig.xml for every core.

This link seems to apply to what I'm trying to do:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#enable.2BAC8-disable_master.2BAC8-slave_in_a_node

My first question is this:
In the tomcat/solr implementation I'm using, I can't tell where/how to pass system parameters (-Denable.master=false) to solr.  I've found how to pass this sort of thing into tomcat, but it doesn't seem like this is the same thing.

Next question:
The link references setting these properties in a solrcore.properties file.  I've created the file and landed it next to the applicable solrconfig.xml but it doesn't seem to apply it's settings.

Both the master and the slave node are on solr v3.3
The master is running on windows server 2008 r2, and was set up well before my involvement
The slave is running  CentOS 6.0

Thanks for reading.  I'm happy to provide more info as needed.

Re: Passing system parameters to solr at runtime

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Would it be acceptable to change a central "slave config"? Because
it's possible to
have the replication process distribute solrconfig.xml files to the
slaves that are
different from the master.

That way, your master has it's own solrconfig.xml, and a solrconfig_slave.xml in
the conf directory. At replication, the solrconfig_slave.xml is what's
sent to the
slave as solrconfig.xml, presumably this file has the whole master
thing removed.

See: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication, the
"replicating solrconfig.xml" section....

which is another way of saying that I have no clue how to
do what you asked, but this solution seems like it might do.

Best
Erick