Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by yogu13 <yo...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/01 17:20:32 UTC

Re: [ActiveMQ-5.14.1] QueueBrowser can view messages being processed by consumers which are not yet unacknowledged

Thanks Christopher!

Does this mean a JIRA would be raised to have this implemented ?

Regards,
-Yogesh

Re: [ActiveMQ-5.14.1] QueueBrowser can view messages being processed by consumers which are not yet unacknowledged

Posted by yogu13 <yo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Matt,

Its a little hard to see which message is stuck when there are tons of
messages in queue with multiple consumers. AFAIK not sure if i we can make
out from message properties that it its currently being processed to declare
it "stuck".

We recently moved away from Application Server specific JMS (Weblogic/JBoss)
to ActiveMQ. We have a usecase to determine messages which have not been
consumed from queue beyond a time limit (to make sure we achieve our SLA)
and we started noticing messages which are currently being processed are
also picked up and an alert is triggered.

I am not sure if the default behaviour of ActiveMQ has to be changed here as
the API does not talk about how browsers would behave in this particular
scenario. However it would be great if ActiveMQ provides a way of   using
QueueBrowser to get messages which are not consumed and have not entered the
process of consumption.

This would help when one migrates from JMS providers like Weblogic / JBoss.

Regards,
-Yogesh

Re: [ActiveMQ-5.14.1] QueueBrowser can view messages being processed by consumers which are not yet unacknowledged

Posted by yogu13 <yo...@gmail.com>.
Christopher,

I am not sure of policy setting, The best way IMO would be to have this
option catered by use of selector as QueueBrowser API already provides for
it.

Having said that I do not know the complexity involved in implementing it.

Regards,
-Yogesh

Re: [ActiveMQ-5.14.1] QueueBrowser can view messages being processed by consumers which are not yet unacknowledged

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we want to change the default behavior in 5.x since it has
been like that for a long time so it would need to be something
configurable.  You can create the Jira and see if someone has time to work
on it.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yogesh-

I'm not sure a selector would be the best fit, since that has a pretty
defined syntax per the spec (although, ActiveMQ 5.x has precedence for
extending it in the past w/ XPath-based selector). This use case feels
narrow for something spec-breaking like that.

You could achieve gathering the information you need by writing a
customer broker-side interceptor, or looking at the LoggingInterceptor
to see if it meets your needs:
http://activemq.apache.org/logging-interceptor.html without having to
wait/hope for a JIRA to get worked out.

-Matt

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yes the default behavior shouldn't change, if anything is done it should be
as an optional policy setting on the destination.  Ultimately I think it
would be tricky to implement with the way things currently work so I'm not
sure if it will ever get implemented but a new Jira is a first start for
someone to take a look at it.  Matt does ask a good question though, what
is the use case?  Maybe there is a better way to go about trying to
accomplish what you want.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.