Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Arun Kumaran Sabtharishi <ar...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/24 19:14:37 UTC

TO_DATE function failure in Phoenix 4.3.1 (Bug?)

Dear Phoenix developers and users,

The usage of TO_DATE function to convert varchar to date fails in phoenix
4.3.1.

Debugging the phoenix code, the observation is that, it is throwing
NoClassDefFoundError at ISODateFormatParser class while getting the
singleton instance of that inner class which is in DateUtil class.

This has been already found and closed in a previous version.

*JIRA link:*

*Is this still a bug? *It is 100% reproducible now.

I used the following sqls to create a table, insert data and convert it to
date while selecting.

CREATE TABLE EMP_TABLE(NAME VARCHAR PRIMARY KEY, DATE_STR VARCHAR);

UPSERT INTO EMP_TABLE VALUES('JAMES TAYLOR', '2014-02-02 11:21:21');

SELECT DATE_STR FROM EMP_TABLE WHERE TO_DATE(DATE_STR) >
TO_DATE('2001-01-01 05:00:00');

Since this is working in 4.0.0 and not in 4.3.1 version to which we
upgraded recently, we have an alarming situation to downgrade it back to
4.0.0. Kindly, let me know a workaround for this and whether this is a
valid bug.

[image: Inline image 1]

Thanks,
Arun

Re: TO_DATE function failure in Phoenix 4.3.1 (Bug?)

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,
Would you mind it on the 4.5 RC we have out and let us know? I suspect it's
fixed.
Thanks,
James