Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2004/12/03 08:03:47 UTC

[Axis2] Re: Full infoset support

i know i may be PITA but please do put [Axis2] somewhere in email
subject ...

my reply is below.

Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Since this issue was taken up in the last IRC session and ended with
>no conclusion, I suppose we should talks about this seriously and take
>a decision. So I am going to put forward the qeustion in simple terms
>and put up my answer with reasons.
>
>Q - Do we need full XML infoset support with OM?
>
>A - No.

please define what is exactly full XML infoset support?

for me it is: AXIOM API must support XML Infoset and allow an API
implementation that implements all XML infoset if it finds it necessary
but default OM implementation is optimized for SOAP.

i think Web Services are more than just SOAP and precluding use of
XML/HTTP would be an error (especially that it is so easy to support).

the only parts of XML Infoset that we may not want to support are those
not required by SOAP (mostly related to PIs and DTDs as they are
prohibited in SOAP 1.2 message for details see
http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#soapenv - anything more excluded? and
comments are allowed just not inside message but in document ...)

so think it can be simply done by having DTD related properties
empty/default/null (such as those in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.document) and AXIOM impl to
throw exception if it sees DTD (configurable to do so as required for
SOAP 1.2 ...)

this is very quick analysis - let me know if i missed something.

thanks,

alek

Re: [Axis2] Re: Full infoset support

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Eran Chinthaka wrote:

>>>i know i may be PITA but please do put [Axis2] somewhere in email
>>>subject ...
>>>

>[Chinthaka] Alek, Axis2 was there in the subject. My email filters got it
>correct.

not the email i was repsonding - i know see that it had followup ...

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>"Aleksander Slominski" <as...@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
>

>>this is another reason why people that wants true doc/lit exchange will
>>want MTOM or look for alternative and simple XML/HTTP
>>

>Yes.
>

>>the only safe way to transport XML document inside another XML document
>>is escaping  it as string or even better BASE64 (in SOAP 1.1 there were
>>discussions about "id" attribute ...)
>>

>Yes.
>
>But none of this argues for making the OM have stuff that is not
>needed for SOAP. Well ok, if you have an MTOM thing which is a full
>XML document I guess it would be nice to be able to use the OM
>API for that XML document too.

yes

>We should consider that carefully
>when designing the MTOM support for OM.

yes!

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
"Aleksander Slominski" <as...@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
> this is another reason why people that wants true doc/lit exchange will
> want MTOM or look for alternative and simple XML/HTTP

Yes.

> the only safe way to transport XML document inside another XML document
> is escaping  it as string or even better BASE64 (in SOAP 1.1 there were
> discussions about "id" attribute ...)

Yes.

But none of this argues for making the OM have stuff that is not
needed for SOAP. Well ok, if you have an MTOM thing which is a full
XML document I guess it would be nice to be able to use the OM
API for that XML document too. We should consider that carefully
when designing the MTOM support for OM.

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2] Re: Full infoset support

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
ok understood.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
A PI ..

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Sanjiva,

I completely agree with you.

I think the current OM impl, found under svn/scratch/prototype2 area, is
covering only the things that is absolutely required for Axis 2 (except MTOM
support which will come soon)!!

-- Eran Chinthaka

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ajith,

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi there Alek,

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

>>i know i may be PITA but please do put [Axis2] somewhere in email
>>subject ...
[Chinthaka] Alek, Axis2 was there in the subject. My email filters got it
correct.

>>my reply is below.
>>
>>Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
>>
>>>Since this issue was taken up in the last IRC session and ended with
>>>no conclusion, I suppose we should talks about this seriously and take
>>>a decision. So I am going to put forward the qeustion in simple terms
>>>and put up my answer with reasons.
>>>
>>>Q - Do we need full XML infoset support with OM?
>>>
>>>A - No.
>>>

>>please define what is exactly full XML infoset support?
>>
>>for me it is: AXIOM API must support XML Infoset and allow an API
>>implementation that implements all XML infoset if it finds it necessary
>>but default OM implementation is optimized for SOAP.
>>
>>i think Web Services are more than just SOAP and precluding use of
>>XML/HTTP would be an error (especially that it is so easy to support).
>>
>>the only parts of XML Infoset that we may not want to support are those
>>not required by SOAP (mostly related to PIs and DTDs as they are
>>prohibited in SOAP 1.2 message for details see
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#soapenv - anything more excluded? and
>>comments are allowed just not inside message but in document ...)
>>
>>so think it can be simply done by having DTD related properties
>>empty/default/null (such as those in
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.document) and AXIOM impl to
>>throw exception if it sees DTD (configurable to do so as required for
>>SOAP 1.2 ...)

[Chinthaka] can u all remember the basic concepts we agreed on the summit.
One is YAGNI and one other is KISS. So if we just create some support for
DTD and PI and just throw an exception, isn't it YAGNI or violating KISS
???????

Thankx,

Eran Chinthaka