Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jose Miguel Pasini <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/15 13:08:07 UTC

verify signals problems: can a revision be ignored?

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't find an answer in the archives.
The latest revision of my repository is having some problems, as shown
by:

% svn commit -m "trouble here"
Sending        styles/main_style.css
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Failure opening
'/jm_website/trunk/WebContent/styles/main_style.css'
svn: '/jm_website/trunk/WebContent' is not a directory in filesystem
'/home/jpasini/svn_repos/db'

% svnadmin verify /home/jpasini/svn_repos/
* Verified revision 34.
svnadmin: Failure opening '/jm_website/trunk/WebContent/bio.html'
svnadmin: '/jm_website/trunk/WebContent' is not a directory in
filesystem '/home/jpasini/svn_repos/db'

I don't know the cause of the problem (I must have messed up while using
RapidSVN), but now I would like to be able to at least "ignore" or
"erase" this revision (35). I can check out the older revisions, and I
would like to simply commit the latest working copy I have, but I'm
paralyzed at this stage by these errors. Please help!

Thanks in advance,
José Miguel Pasini

PS: For completeness:
% uname -a
Linux cavafy 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 20:19:32 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux
% svn --version
svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)
   compiled Mar 28 2007, 22:48:32

Re: verify signals problems: can a revision be ignored?

Posted by schoenfeld / in-medias-res <sc...@in-medias-res.com>.
Hi,

> I don't know the cause of the problem (I must have messed up while
> using RapidSVN), but now I would like to be able to at least
> "ignore" or

currently there is no feature to get rid of a revision (as i know there
is a obliterate feature beeing worked on, but not yet available). But
you can create a new revision with a copy of a previous working revision
by using the svn copy command.

Greets
Patrick

Re: verify signals problems: can a revision be ignored?

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Wednesday 15 August 2007 15:08, Jose Miguel Pasini wrote:
> % svnadmin verify /home/jpasini/svn_repos/
> * Verified revision 34.
> svnadmin: Failure opening '/jm_website/trunk/WebContent/bio.html'
> svnadmin: '/jm_website/trunk/WebContent' is not a directory in
> filesystem '/home/jpasini/svn_repos/db'
>

> I don't know the cause of the problem (I must have messed up while using
> RapidSVN), but now I would like to be able to at least "ignore" or
> "erase" this revision (35).

No, you did not mess up with RSVN. Rather, this means that some data was
destroyed which belongs in your repository, but Subversion itself doesn't
offer any way to destroy that data (unless you encountered a bug, that is). I
would be very interested in knowing how that data vanished, as it might
happen again (HD failure, virus, unclean unmounting etc).

Anyway, what does that mean? It means that this revision or parts thereof are
not available. You also can't simply ignore that, because a later revision
might refer to that revision's data (remember, SVN stores deltas!), so you
need to fix that.

> I can check out the older revisions, and I would like to simply commit
> the latest working copy I have, but I'm paralyzed at this stage by these
> errors.

1. Make a backup of the whole repository and your working copies now, do not
attempt any remedy on them without this.
2. If you can dump everything after that revision, you can load the content up
to r35 from a backup and then incrementally load the dump you extracted from
the current repository.
3. If you don't have a backup of r35, it gets difficult. You might be able to
dump 0..34 and then load 36..HEAD on top of it. This would mean that a) the
content of that revision is lost and b) that working copies get out of sync,
because their revision doesn't correspond to the same revision in the
repository anymore. I think you can tell svnadmin to create an empty revision
to avoid that.
4. Same as 3., but you manually recreate the changes you made in r35.
5. You can dump 0..34 and then commit your working copy's data on top of it.
Note that you need a new WC for that. Obviously this looses any history
information between 34 and HEAD, but you get the current data into the
repository.

Note that you can read about the dump/reload operations in the Subversion
book, which is why I didn't go into those here.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Ronald Boers, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.