Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "O. Oke" <re...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/07/11 20:27:59 UTC

PASSWORD DIGESTION...RealmBase import problem...help please!

Help please!

BACKGROUND
==========
I want to store the digested version of user's
password in the database.  Therefore, I imported
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase so that I can use
the static DIGEST method in the class for the
digestion of the password
i.e.Digest(myBean.getUser_pass()).

I am using Eclipse 3.0.2, tomcat-5.5.9 and JDK 1.5

PROBLEM
=======
After importing org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase
class, I keep getting error msg: "The import
org.apache.catalina cannot be resolved".  I do not
expect to get this error because I have followed the
instructions on how to achieve my objective correctly.
 The instructions are here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html#Digested%20Passwords

In line with the instructions, I added catalina.jar to
my classpath; please see classpath below:

CLASSPATH=.;D:\apps\Apache\Tomcat\tomcat-5.5.9\common\lib\servlet-api.jar;D:\apps\Apache\Tomcat\tomcat-5.5.9\common\lib\jsp-api.jar;D:\apps\Apache\Tomcat\tomcat-5.5.9\server\lib\catalina.jar

In DOS the RealmBase class was found, it is only in
the action class that it is not found - cannot be
resolved.

Everything to do with password/login is working,
except for digestion.  As I have pointed out it has
not been possible to enable digestion because of the
problem with importing the class.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get
round the import problem?  I hasten to point out, I
even restarted my machine after adding catalina.jar to
my classpath.

Thank you.

Ola'dele Oke

Re: PASSWORD DIGESTION...RealmBase import problem...help please!

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Oke

Did you read the "How to configure realm" how to doc and follow the
instructions ?
Take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html

Also
Its been my experience 8.3 folder are identified coorectly where as NTFS
file names sometimes identified correctly
e.g.
D:\apps\Apache\Tomcat\tomcat-5.5.9\common\lib\servlet-api.jar become
D:\apps\Apache\Tomcat\TOMCAT~1\common\lib\servlet-api.jar

Good Luck,
Martin