Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by John Martin <pb...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/25 18:19:40 UTC

Carrier Shipping Rates - how can they be working?

I've been working on the update of the DHL shipping rates to support
the new "Out of Origin" feature in the ShipIt API.  Trying to get the
shipping rates to work, I've been debugging the code and don't see how
it can work.

In the order.shoppingcart.shipping.ShippingEvents class in the
function getShipGroupEstimate, it creates a Map (around line 160) and
then calls getExternalShipEstimate passing in the map.  The first
thing the code does is to look a property "serviceName" which is never
populated therefore it drops out of the method without attempting to
call the carriers' API.

snippet from getShipGroupEstimate().....

   // prepare the service invocation fields
        Map serviceFields = new HashMap();
        serviceFields.put("initialEstimateAmt", new Double(shippingTotal));
        serviceFields.put("shippableTotal", new Double(shippableTotal));
        serviceFields.put("shippableQuantity", new Double(shippableQuantity));
        serviceFields.put("shippableWeight", new
Double(shippableWeight));
        serviceFields.put("shippableItemInfo", itemInfo);
        serviceFields.put("productStoreId", productStoreId);
        serviceFields.put("carrierRoleTypeId", "CARRIER");
        serviceFields.put("carrierPartyId", carrierPartyId);
        serviceFields.put("shipmentMethodTypeId", shipmentMethodTypeId);
        serviceFields.put("shippingContactMechId", shippingContactMechId);

        // call the external shipping service
        try {
            Double externalAmt = getExternalShipEstimate(dispatcher,
storeShipMethod, serviceFields);

----------------------------

snippet from getExternalShipEstimate()....

    public static Double getExternalShipEstimate(LocalDispatcher
dispatcher, GenericValue storeShipMeth, Map context) throws
GeneralException {
        // invoke the external shipping estimate service
        Double externalShipAmt = null;
        if (storeShipMeth.get("serviceName") != null) {

Based on the code I'm debugging, carrier rates couldn't possibly be
working.  Am I missing something or are carrier rates not working in
ofBiz?

Thanks,

John

Re: Carrier Shipping Rates - how can they be working?

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
Hi

Actually, you do need a USPS account for some features used in the OFBiz
api...

Again, the production setup guide has additional details.

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.SatelliteRadioZone.com
http://www.Cards-Visa.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Carrier Shipping Rates - how can they be working?

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Couldn't we simply enter an enabled flag in the entity that associates
these services to the product store?

Obviously it should still be properly documented, but it would make life
a lot easier for someone looking at it for the first time.

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Carrier Shipping Rates - how can they be working?

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1(but only because I've already learned my lesson ;) )

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
This information should go in the basic production setup guide (on
docs.ofbiz.org), but not be the default in SVN as it will cause a
bunch of error messages because it wouldn't be configured properly.

-David