Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/04/26 16:17:32 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Deprecate JAAS Realm in 10.0.x and remove in 10.1.x

In reviewing references to Java EE (and J2EE) remaining in the Tomcat 10
repo I found the following:

<quote source="webapps/docs/config/realm.xml">
JAASRealm is prototype for Tomcat of the JAAS-based J2EE authentication
framework for J2EE v1.4, based on the <a
href="https://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=196">JCP Specification
Request 196</a> to enhance container-managed security and promote
'pluggable' authentication mechanisms whose implementations would be
container-independent.
</quote>

JSR became JASPIC (now Jakarta Security) and Tomcat has an implementation.

Searching through the mailing lists I found the following references to
usage of the JAASRealm (going back ~5 years).

[1] Tomcat 7 user using JAAS based auth to an LDAP server
[2] Tomcat 9 user using SPNEGO with the JAAS realm
[3] Tomcat 8.5 user using SPNEGO with the JAAS realm
[4] Tomcat 7 users with custom CLIENT-CERT auth based on JAAS realm
[5] User wanting access to HttpServletRequest during auth

Most, if not all, of those have better solutions available than the JAAS
Realm. And those wanting some form of custom auth do have the "proper"
Jakarta Security API to work with.

Therefore, I'm not currently seeing a good reason to keep the JAASRealm.
Any objections to immediate deprecation with removal planned for 10.1.x?

Mark

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ndvr5ilxovoo4ins
[2] http://markmail.org/message/5ocdnmqvvlvjsxas
[3] http://markmail.org/message/wki275i5yhlg3yyo
[4] http://markmail.org/message/av2sv6g4kgm6ouu4
[5] http://markmail.org/message/fm4ggo3ge4r47gar

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deprecate JAAS Realm in 10.0.x and remove in 10.1.x

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Thinking out loud: can't it become a jaspic jaas impl delivered on central
(this point is crucial), can be tomcat-jaas or so but not bundled by
default in the distribution?
Jaspic enables to do from the app so it becomes an option it seems which
enables the use case so limit a lot the required "glue" to compensate a
drop or is it still "too much" to maintain in your opinion?

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 4/26/21 12:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
> In reviewing references to Java EE (and J2EE) remaining in the Tomcat 10
> repo I found the following:
>
> <quote source="webapps/docs/config/realm.xml">
> JAASRealm is prototype for Tomcat of the JAAS-based J2EE authentication
> framework for J2EE v1.4, based on the <a
> href="https://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=196">JCP Specification
> Request 196</a> to enhance container-managed security and promote
> 'pluggable' authentication mechanisms whose implementations would be
> container-independent.
> </quote>
>
> JSR became JASPIC (now Jakarta Security) and Tomcat has an implementation.
>
> Searching through the mailing lists I found the following references to
> usage of the JAASRealm (going back ~5 years).
>
> [1] Tomcat 7 user using JAAS based auth to an LDAP server
> [2] Tomcat 9 user using SPNEGO with the JAAS realm
> [3] Tomcat 8.5 user using SPNEGO with the JAAS realm
> [4] Tomcat 7 users with custom CLIENT-CERT auth based on JAAS realm
> [5] User wanting access to HttpServletRequest during auth
>
> Most, if not all, of those have better solutions available than the JAAS
> Realm. And those wanting some form of custom auth do have the "proper"
> Jakarta Security API to work with.
>
> Therefore, I'm not currently seeing a good reason to keep the JAASRealm.
> Any objections to immediate deprecation with removal planned for 10.1.x?

Only if someone gives a presentation at this year's ApacheCon @Home
about JASPIC and its use by mere mortals. I'd love to see "how to use
JASPIC to authenticate against my JDBC credential store" (aka
"re-creating DataSourceRealm using JASPIC").

-chris

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deprecate JAAS Realm in 10.0.x and remove in 10.1.x

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le lun. 26 avr. 2021 à 18:57, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> a écrit :

> > JAASRealm is quite commonly used whereas JASPIC is almost never used
>
> References?

Sadly not public but all project not using a custom valve/auth where using
jaas and some good part of it (Id say 35%) sharing a login module.

> In my trawl of the Tomcat archives those using the JAAS realm appeared
> to have better solutions available whereas those using JASPIC were doing
> so for the "right" reasons.
>
> If there is evidence that the JAAS realm is meeting a user need I'd like
> to see it (and understand why JAAS is a better solution than the
> alternatives).

Mainly cause it has impl and shareable modules between apps (karaf, tomcat,
standalone) whereas jaspic is not.

At least being able to enable jaas is important I'd say cause it reduces
cost compare to jaspic dev which must be redone for other env (not spread
enough).

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
JAASRealm is quite commonly used whereas JASPIC is almost never used (and

Posted by Filip Hanik <fi...@hanik.com>.