Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Ilya Pronin <ip...@twopensource.com> on 2017/11/02 20:15:27 UTC

TASK_UNKNOWN status ambiguousness

Hey everyone,

Currently, TASK_UNKNOWN task status covers 2 different cases that should be
handled differently by frameworks:
1. Task is unknown, agent is unknown: the fate of the task is unknown, the
framework may elect to wait until its agent comes back (network partition
resolves, etc.);
2. Task is unknown, agent in registered: the task is definitely in the
terminal state and will not come back, the framework should reschedule it.

I'd like to resolve this ambiguity and replace TASK_UNKNOWN with TASK_GONE
in the second case. The ticket to track this issue is
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-8165.

Any objections?

--
Ilya Pronin