Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2004/02/18 15:28:46 UTC

Time for 1.3.30??

I'd like to float the idea of releasing 1.3.30 "soonish".
Not only are there enough changes to warrant a release, but
also to coincide with the changeover to AL 2.0.

Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 18, 2004, at 6:57 PM, Henning Brauer wrote:
> I have hughe problems with the new license.

Sorry to hear that; a large number of people both inside and outside
of the foundation worked very hard on the new license.  Some of us
are convinced that is a substantial improvement.

> What exactly is the point of replacing the BSD-style old license that
> entirely works off the grounds of copyright law by this new beast that
> requires a bazillion of lawyers to parse and almost certainly goes into
> contract law?

You will find the venue where that work was done here:
     http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listId=178

That mailing list is the right place to raise your concerns and, I
hope, get
them resolved.

Since this is a decision that we have labored on across the entire
foundation it's just not effective to try and discuss it in this
mailing list.

   - ben

Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Henning Brauer <he...@openbsd.org>.
* Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> [2004-02-18 15:45]:
> I'd like to float the idea of releasing 1.3.30 "soonish".
> Not only are there enough changes to warrant a release, but
> also to coincide with the changeover to AL 2.0.

I have hughe problems with the new license.

What exactly is the point of replacing the BSD-style old license that
entirely works off the grounds of copyright law by this new beast that
requires a bazillion of lawyers to parse and almost certainly goes into
contract law?

i will not import any code under the new apache license into openbsd.

if that means we have to fork 1.3.29, then so it be, even though that is
not the option i prefer.

very sad.

hb@bsws.de - henning@openbsd.org
(Dennis Ritchie)

Re: Time for 2.0.49, WAS: Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Sander Striker wrote:

> aswell?

+1, but let's make sure to get the mod_usertrack fix finally committed.
Jim already committed it to 1.3.x as far as I know, and there's no reason
not to commit it to 2.0.x and 2.1.x except I just kept forgetting to do
so.

--Cliff

Re: Time for 2.0.49, WAS: Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
We have a showstopper, don't we?

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by gr...@apache.org.
Ben Laurie wrote:
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to float the idea of releasing 1.3.30 "soonish".

>> one question: who would support putting the 1.3 versions of
>> mod_backtrace and mod_whatkilledus in experimental?

> +1.

+1

Greg

Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to float the idea of releasing 1.3.30 "soonish".
>>> Not only are there enough changes to warrant a release, but
>>> also to coincide with the changeover to AL 2.0.
>>

>> one question: who would support putting the 1.3 versions of
>> mod_backtrace and mod_whatkilledus in experimental?  I saw statements
>> from 2 or 3 folks that seemed interested and I'd be happy to address
>> the outstanding comments and suggestions (fix the directive names,
>> escape the request info written by whatkilledus, allow mod_backtrace
>> to be built on FreeBSD since there is a libexecinfo available there
>> with the required function).  No integration with the build planned
>> unless somebody else wants to deal with the AP_ENABLE_EXCEPTION_HOOK
>> flag ;)
>

> +1.

+1

Bill

Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Feb 18, 2004, at 1:19 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I'd like to float the idea of releasing 1.3.30 "soonish".
>> Not only are there enough changes to warrant a release, but
>> also to coincide with the changeover to AL 2.0.
>
> one question: who would support putting the 1.3 versions of
> mod_backtrace and mod_whatkilledus in experimental?  I saw statements
> from 2 or 3 folks that seemed interested and I'd be happy to address
> the outstanding comments and suggestions (fix the directive names,
> escape the request info written by whatkilledus, allow mod_backtrace
> to be built on FreeBSD since there is a libexecinfo available there
> with the required function).  No integration with the build planned
> unless somebody else wants to deal with the AP_ENABLE_EXCEPTION_HOOK
> flag ;)

+1 on adding to experimental!

Re: Time for 1.3.30??

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.