Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by AJ Jonen <aj...@dimins.com> on 2006/06/01 22:11:57 UTC

tomcat ssl not working

My tomcat server is not responding when I type in https://localhost:8443.
oddly enough it does work when I type in http://localhost:8443

I'm having a bit of an issue getting Tomcat to work on the secure port
8443.   What happens is I type https://localhost:8443 and the page never
loads.  I get no errors (page cannot be found, page cannot be displayed
etc).  My browser simply looks like it's loading the page, it eventually
says that it's done, but my browser home page is still displayed.

- The unsecure port (port 8090 in my case, because port 8080 was already
in use) works fine.
- I generated my keystore file, presumably correctly (I was prompted to
enter my name, organization, location, etc), and it is in the correct
location (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\conf).
- Kathy O. looked at my server.xml page and says that everything looks
correct.  Everything looks right to me too.
- I am using Tomcat 5.5 and I am using the correct java version (1.5,
not 1.4).

Any ideas on what might be preventing the page from loading correctly on
the secure port?

Rebecca

Re: tomcat ssl not working

Posted by Jack <ja...@gmail.com>.
You can have a look here and see if you find any useful tips - this
explains how I got SSL to work on Tomcat:

http://jack.godau.googlepages.com/jbosscertificatesandopenssl

Cheers
Jack...

On 01/06/06, Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com> wrote:
> I am running 5.5.9 and have no problems with it (except that it is
> expired) but it still works if I accept it.
>
> Mike
>
> AJ Jonen wrote:
> > My tomcat server is not responding when I type in https://localhost:8443.
> > oddly enough it does work when I type in http://localhost:8443
> >
> > I'm having a bit of an issue getting Tomcat to work on the secure port
> > 8443.   What happens is I type https://localhost:8443 and the page
> > never loads.  I get no errors (page cannot be found, page cannot be
> > displayed etc).  My browser simply looks like it's loading the page,
> > it eventually says that it's done, but my browser home page is still
> > displayed.
> >
> > - The unsecure port (port 8090 in my case, because port 8080 was
> > already in use) works fine.
> > - I generated my keystore file, presumably correctly (I was prompted
> > to enter my name, organization, location, etc), and it is in the
> > correct location (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> > 5.5\conf).
> > - Kathy O. looked at my server.xml page and says that everything looks
> > correct.  Everything looks right to me too.
> > - I am using Tomcat 5.5 and I am using the correct java version (1.5,
> > not 1.4).
> >
> > Any ideas on what might be preventing the page from loading correctly
> > on the secure port?
> >
> > Rebecca

> Mike Sabroff
> Web Services Developer
> mike.sabroff@cygnusb2b.com
> 920-568-8379

Cheers
Jack...

The claim "natural" is not synonymous with safe.

Re: tomcat ssl not working

Posted by Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com>.

AJ Jonen wrote:
> My tomcat server is not responding when I type in https://localhost:8443.
> oddly enough it does work when I type in http://localhost:8443
>
> I'm having a bit of an issue getting Tomcat to work on the secure port
> 8443.   What happens is I type https://localhost:8443 and the page
> never loads.  I get no errors (page cannot be found, page cannot be
> displayed etc).  My browser simply looks like it's loading the page,
> it eventually says that it's done, but my browser home page is still
> displayed.
>
> - The unsecure port (port 8090 in my case, because port 8080 was
> already in use) works fine.
> - I generated my keystore file, presumably correctly (I was prompted
> to enter my name, organization, location, etc), and it is in the
> correct location (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 5.5\conf).
> - Kathy O. looked at my server.xml page and says that everything looks
> correct.  Everything looks right to me too.
> - I am using Tomcat 5.5 and I am using the correct java version (1.5,
> not 1.4).
>
> Any ideas on what might be preventing the page from loading correctly
> on the secure port?
>
> Rebecca

Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer