Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tomasz Chmielewski <tc...@metalab.unc.edu> on 2002/03/24 16:01:14 UTC

Apache + SSL + virtual domains

Hello,

Due to the nature of SSL, it's impossible to use name-based virtual
hosting, that is with only one IP.

However, is it possible to set up Apache to listen on multiple ports
(i.e., virtual-one:443, virtual-two:1443, virtual-three:2443 and so on),
so that it could work with multiple virtual domains?

-- T.

Re: Apache + SSL + virtual domains

Posted by James Harr <ja...@grickle.org>.
Hi Tomasz,

Contrary to your statement, I believe it is possible to have name based virtual hosts. However it is impossible to have a different encryption key per name based virtual host. Reason being is that the data used to figure out which key to use, would be already encrypted. SSL acts just like a tunnel. Once the tunnel is established, then the http request is sent through (which contain name based vhosts).

If any one knows for a fact that I am wrong please tell me. I remember reading this on mod_ssl's site, but I can't remember where, it was a while ago.

Later,
James Harr

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.
yeah, sure, why not... thought you want to do that with single cert
file. my bad =(

îÁ 2002.03.24 19:39 Tomasz Chmielewski ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:

Posted by Tomasz Chmielewski <tc...@metalab.unc.edu>.

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.
But there's FQDN in certificate, so afaik you'll have to have all those
sites in one domain.

îÁ 2002.03.24 17:01 Tomasz Chmielewski ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ: