Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/04/28 13:53:36 UTC

[Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "BeanUtils/FAQ" by SimonKitching

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by SimonKitching:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/BeanUtils/FAQ

The comment on the change is:
new FAQ page

New page:
##language:en

== The Apache Jakarta BeanUtils Frequently Asked Questions Page ==

=== Introduction ===

This page is intended to gather answers to questions that are regularly asked on the beanutils email lists.

If you discovered something about BeanUtils that you think other people may find useful, please edit this page to add that information.

=== Why isn't String -> Date conversion provided by default? ===

Simply because different regions of the world use different date layouts. There isn't any date format that is a reasonable built-in default.

 * USA: mm-dd-yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy
 * Europe/Pacific: dd-mm-yyyy
 * Other popular formats: yyyy-mm-dd, yyyymmdd

If you want BeanUtils to do implicit String->Date conversions for you, then you just need to register a suitable converter for the date
formats you expect to encounter in your input.

Re: [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "BeanUtils/FAQ" by SimonKitching

Posted by Mattias J <mj...@expertsystem.se>.
At 2005-04-28 13:53, you wrote:
>Simply because different regions of the world use different date layouts.
>There isn't any date format that is a reasonable built-in default.

I don't agree. yyyy-mm-dd is the ISO (8601) standard.
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/datesandtime.html

It is used, among others, in the XML Schema date type and for database
representation.

>  * USA: mm-dd-yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy
>  * Europe/Pacific: dd-mm-yyyy

(In Sweden, which is part of Europe for those who don't know, we rarely use
dd-mm-yyyy)