Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2005/08/24 21:36:37 UTC

serf was Re: mod_cache wishlist

--On August 24, 2005 4:21:38 PM +0100 Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> wrote:

> So, is it time we introduced a general-purpose apr_http_client?
> I'd be prepared to offer my code as a startingpoint, but I'd rather
> not take the driving seat for further development and documentation.

We already went down this road with serf and it eventually got booted by
the APR PMC and the HTTP Server PMC refused to consider adding an HTTP
client library.  ("We don't do clients.  Go away.")

Serf, which uses APR, lives on here:

SVN: <http://svn.webdav.org/repos/projects/serf/trunk>

Serf does async, SSL, deflate (gzip *and* deflate!), pipelining, etc.  It's
licensed under ALv2.  For those coming from httpd-land, a lot of it will
make sense.  It uses apr_pollset, so it gets KEvent/epoll for free.

FWIW, we created the serf-dev mailing list only after Greg and I got tired
of trading private emails; alas, neither one of us have had mailing list
discussions since we created it.  -- justin