Posted to user@stdcxx.apache.org by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> on 2006/05/01 17:42:22 UTC

Re: How to use stdcxx in a Visual Studio project

Geoffrey Winn wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm looking into how we might use stdcxx in the SDO for C++ Apache
> Tuscany
> project (http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/)
>
> I've looked at the web site (http://incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/#users)
> and
> I can see how to obtain the source, however, we'd rather not be in the
> business of building stdcxx as part of our project, so I wondered if
> there
> are any pre-built versions available?

There are no prebuilt binaries, but it's easy to create them using
the generated solution. Download the latest stable tarball from here:
http://incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/download.html. After unpacking it
use the generate.bat command to generate a VisualStudio solution
populated with projects for the library, examples, and a small
number of tests (the testsuite is still being migrated from the
Rogue Wave test infrastructure over to the stdcxx one).

> Also, does anyone have any experience of modifying Visual Studio to use
> stdcxx rather than its own equivalent?

The generated solution is, IMO, a good example of how to integrate
the library into VisualStudio projects, complete with dependencies
etc.

Martin

Re: How to use stdcxx in a Visual Studio project

Posted by Geoffrey Winn <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Resurrecting this thread for a moment. I've compared the configuration
properties for the "sieve" test program (I chose it at random so please let
me know if there's a better one) with the way we currently build Tuscany SDO
and I found three significant differences (comparing the "15d" configuration
of sieve with the "Debug" configuration for SDO).

1. The sieve project explicitly says it is dependent on the .stdlib project.

2. The sieve project specifies "Additional include directories". The only
one of these that I think applies generally is a reference to
..\..\include/15d which I assume is there for config.h

3. The sieve project supplies Preprocessor Definitions
_RWSTD_USE_CONFIG
_RWSHARED
_RWSTDDEBUG
whereas Tuscany SDO has
WIN32
_DEBUG
_CONSOLE

I assume I will need to replicate these settings when I use stdlib with SDO.

Can anyone see anything that I've missed?

Regards,

Geoff.