Posted to dev@fluo.apache.org by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> on 2016/10/03 17:19:32 UTC

Volunteer to try Fluo tour

I just put a pull request[1] for something called the Fluo Tour.  The
tour is a set of exercises someone could follow to help them become
proficient using Fluo.  I am looking for feedback if anyone has a
chance to try following it.  Currently, need to do the following two
things to try the tour.

 * Install a snapshot version of Fluo (we are getting close to
releasing 1.0.0 I hope, so this step would not be needed after that)
 * Run Jekyll locally.

If anyone needs more info on either of these two steps, could ask here
or on the PR.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-fluo-website/pull/21

Re: Volunteer to try Fluo tour

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Keith Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Josh Elser<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >  tl;dr This is really great to see, Keith and Mike. Kudos to you both on a
>> >  great tutorial.
>
> Thanks for taking a look and the excellent feedback.

Glad it was helpful :)

MiniFluo made it really easy to play around.

Re: Volunteer to try Fluo tour

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Opened issue https://github.com/apache/incubator-fluo/issues/786

Opened issue https://github.com/apache/incubator-fluo/issues/785

> * From "Transaction Logging"
>
> Why "log4j.logger.fluo.tx=TRACE" and not something like
> "log4j.logger.org.apache.fluo.tx=TRACE"? This is some generic logger name,
> not a real class, I assume?
>
> * From "Word count Exercise"
>
> Document and DocumentLoader could exist already?

Are you thinking these files should exists as part of the tour?

> No solutions?

That was intentional.  When I took the Golang tour, I don't think it
provided any solutions to problems.  Forced me to do them myself,
which I think is better for absorbing/learning info.

> In general, this one felt much less "put together" than the others.

The intention was to have the person following the tour have to put
some thought into completing it.  The hope was that by doing this
mental exercise a more in-depth understanding would be obtained :).  I
tried to update the intro to convery this, not sure if I made it
explicit enough.

> * From "Row Locking"
>
> s/its/it's/
>
> "These row locks can impact the performance of your transactions, so its
> something to be aware of when designing a schema." <- It's not as obvious as
> to how, as a user, I would do this. Do traditional approaches like a
> shard-bit on the row help? Are there other tricks that help with Fluo?

I made a lot of updates to this section.   If you have a moment to
take a look, let me know what you think.

> * Application Configuration
>
> Nit: s/zookeeper/ZooKeeper/ (really, Apache ZooKeeper would be better)
> s/fluo/Fluo/
>
> "After fluo is initialized this information can be accessed anywhere by
> calling.." -- Technical question: is this always pulling a fresh copy from
> ZK? Or, maybe subject to the same Watcher-fire config propagation issue that
> Accumulo is?

Thats a really good question and I am not sure what the answer is.   I
have not tried doing this.   I have only set app config at
initialization time before starting the application.  I will open an
issue about testing this and documenting expected behavior.

> "com.foo.MysqlExporter" <- Make this? ;) Or maybe a generalized JDBC
> exporter? Not sure how to handle the schema/types, but this would be very
> cool way to ease adoption.

Yeah, how the model for mapping would need to be better defined.  if
something were done for this, it would fit nicely in Fluo Recipes.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
No worries! I assumed as much :)

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.