Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com> on 2000/09/23 21:04:26 UTC

Comment indicators

Hey,

Another suggestion that has come up is using
java style comments for all commenting needs :)

// single line

/*
  block comment
*/

/**
  javadoc comment
*/

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Comment indicators

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Justin Wells wrote:

> -1
>
> This is going to conflict with JavaScript and may appear in webpages
> which are about the Java programming langauge. There's no advantage
> in adopting a programming convention since templates aren't designed
> for programmers.
>
> Also it's a bad idea to introduce even more significant characters
> in the underlying text. Right now we already have to watch out for
> conflicts with \ $ { } and # and this just adds yet another character.
>
> There are lots of people out there using WebMacro to generate things
> like RTF and postscript so you need to think very carefully before
> extending the language. Unfortunately your community is still too
> small to have many (any?) of those people, so if you're not careful
> you're going to make changes that disadvantage people outside of the
> turbine community.

Yup, that suggestion didn't last very long :) Bob expressed
the same  concern in the chat room. And the second I thought about
java code generation (working with Leon on getting Torque working
with Velocity) I quickly realized the java commenting style
wouldn't be appropriate.

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Comment indicators

Posted by Justin Wells <jr...@semiotek.com>.
-1

This is going to conflict with JavaScript and may appear in webpages
which are about the Java programming langauge. There's no advantage
in adopting a programming convention since templates aren't designed
for programmers.

Also it's a bad idea to introduce even more significant characters
in the underlying text. Right now we already have to watch out for
conflicts with \ $ { } and # and this just adds yet another character.

There are lots of people out there using WebMacro to generate things
like RTF and postscript so you need to think very carefully before
extending the language. Unfortunately your community is still too
small to have many (any?) of those people, so if you're not careful
you're going to make changes that disadvantage people outside of the
turbine community.

Justin

Re: Comment indicators

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.