Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/13 12:24:53 UTC

PDFBox report, August 2008

Hi,

It's again time for our quarterly report. Here's what I was planning
to submit later today:

<report>
Apache PDFBox is an open source Java library for working with PDF
documents. PDFBox entered incubation on February 7th, 2008.

We have finally migrated all sources to Apache svn and set up the
project website at http://incubator.apache.org/pdfbox/. We also set up
a CI build using Hudson. Traffic is picking up on the user and
developer mailing lists, new issues are being reported through Jira,
and there is initial discussion about an incubating 0.8.0 release.

We're discussing about what to do with the FontBox and JempBox
codebases that are included as subprojects of PDFBox. We might decide
to merge them with similar efforts in other Apache projects, most
notably XML Graphics.

Issues before graduation:

 * Increase community size and activity
 * License review
 * Export control notifications
 * First Apache release
</report>

As usual, comments and improvements are welcome.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: PDFBox report, August 2008

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for writing it.

On 13.08.2008 12:24:53 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's again time for our quarterly report. Here's what I was planning
> to submit later today:
>
> <report>
> Apache PDFBox is an open source Java library for working with PDF
> documents. PDFBox entered incubation on February 7th, 2008.
>
> We have finally migrated all sources to Apache svn and set up the
> project website at http://incubator.apache.org/pdfbox/. We also set up
> a CI build using Hudson. Traffic is picking up on the user and
> developer mailing lists, new issues are being reported through Jira,
> and there is initial discussion about an incubating 0.8.0 release.
>
> We're discussing about what to do with the FontBox and JempBox
> codebases that are included as subprojects of PDFBox. We might decide
> to merge them with similar efforts in other Apache projects, most
> notably XML Graphics.
>
> Issues before graduation:
>
>  * Increase community size and activity
>  * License review
>  * Export control notifications
>  * First Apache release
> </report>
>
> As usual, comments and improvements are welcome.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PDFBox report, August 2008

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Looks good, thanks

Niall

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think we should say something specific about Software grants - its
probably implied by the fact that sources have been imported - but IMO
we should spell it out since thats an important achievement in the
due-diligence of bringing in the code base. How about adding the
following paragraph:

Software Grants have been received from Ben Litchfield, Daniel Wilson
and Philipp Koch who are the primary authors of the PDFBox, FontBox
and JempBox software. There have been a lot of small contributions by
a number of other people to the project and it was asked[1] on the
legal-discuss list whether the primary authors have "sufficient
rights"  to grant a license for all of the code, or if we have to
contact all the other contributors for separate grants. Having
received no response to the question on legal-discuss we assumed that
software grants from the primary authors was sufficient.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/zy6oweihmenqt6o4

Niall