Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/10/08 16:10:18 UTC

New record download day

Yesterday we saw 233,070 downloads of Apache OpenOffice.  This broke
the previous one-day download record of 213,331 set on July 29th,
2013.

-Rob

Re: New record download day

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 09.10.2013 01:32, Vladislav Stevanovic wrote:
> Is there any chance to improve options of getting data about downloads?
> For example, I want to know  (for example) how much copies were downloaded
> for AOO 4.0.1 Serbian pack , in some (from - to) period? And how meny
> downloads (Serbian pack) are done from Serbia and other countries. Serbian
> nation lives in several countries, so  analysing of this downloads data can
> be more accurate for me.  It would be great to have somehow advance options
> from data analysing stored on AOO web page.

Please see the statistics on the right of [1] or the location specific
results in [2].

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.1/binaries/sr/
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.1/binaries/sr/Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.1_Win_x86_install_sr.exe/stats/map

> One criteria for inuput would be version of AOO or all version.
> Next filter for data analysing would be for which language pack or all
> packeges
> Next: for which platform or for all platforms
> Next: date (from - to); for better and faster entering of this criterion,
> it needs to be available release date for every version of AOO
> Next option: from where are downloads done (option for selecting a
> particular country; or option for all countries - in that case we will get
> list of countries and number of downloads for that count )
>
> If we have this it means to have liberty to get all sort of data analysing
> about downloads in any time for all of us.
> Also, why are not automatically processed the current way of presenting
> data that is now appearing on the AOO site (about downloads) every week, it
> would be easier and for person who now has to prepare and publish this
> data  manually

You might want to check out SourceForge's REST API [3] to get such data

[3] http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Download%20Stats%20API/

Herbert

Re: New record download day

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 09/10/2013 Vladislav Stevanovic wrote:
> Is there any chance to improve options of getting data about downloads?
> For example, I want to know  (for example) how much copies were downloaded
> for AOO 4.0.1 Serbian pack , in some (from - to) period?

Rob's scripts use some additional filtering meant, for example, to count
only the "main" installations and not language packs. But you can play
with the statistics at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.0.1/stats/timeline
("change file" allows you to select a specific directory, the map has
downloads by geographical area, or by "Internet Countries", i.e.,
top-level domains such as .de, .fr...)

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: New record download day

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any chance to improve options of getting data about downloads?
> For example, I want to know  (for example) how much copies were downloaded
> for AOO 4.0.1 Serbian pack , in some (from - to) period? And how meny
> downloads (Serbian pack) are done from Serbia and other countries. Serbian
> nation lives in several countries, so  analysing of this downloads data can
> be more accurate for me.  It would be great to have somehow advance options
> from data analysing stored on AOO web page.

There is some more information on these statistics here:

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html

The source of the raw data is SourceForge which has a public REST API
that we can query.  For each of our files, or directories, we can get
information like:

1) How many downloads on a given date
2) From what countries did the downloads come from
3) On what platforms did the download

Also, the name of the download file tells us the AOO version, the
language and platform.

To automate the collection of statistics I wrote some python scripts,
which you can find here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/

The main one is here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/detail-by-day.py

That gets the detailed statistics for a range of dates for a list of
download files.

We have another script that looks at the top countries for downloading
a given file:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/countries.py

That might be a good way to get the country analysis you wanted.

> One criteria for inuput would be version of AOO or all version.
> Next filter for data analysing would be for which language pack or all
> packeges
> Next: for which platform or for all platforms
> Next: date (from - to); for better and faster entering of this criterion,
> it needs to be available release date for every version of AOO
> Next option: from where are downloads done (option for selecting a
> particular country; or option for all countries - in that case we will get
> list of countries and number of downloads for that count )
>
> If we have this it means to have liberty to get all sort of data analysing
> about downloads in any time for all of us.
> Also, why are not automatically processed the current way of presenting
> data that is now appearing on the AOO site (about downloads) every week, it
> would be easier and for person who now has to prepare and publish this
> data  manually

The analysis is automated, but it is currently done off-line and then
results uploaded.

-Rob

Re: New record download day

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.