Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Raymond Raymond <ra...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/30 03:12:51 UTC

Question about checkpoint!

In current derby checkpoint implementation, a disk I/O burst
will be caused during checkpoint. To solve this problem, I am
trying to spread out the disk I/O of checkpoint over the checkpoint
interval. I found there are several things that can trigger a
checkpoint such as too much log generated since the last
checkpoint,data backup, before data compress, when a database
creation finished and so on. I am not sure should I spread out
the disk I/O of all kinds of checkpoint? or just the one triggered
when too much log has been generated since last checkpoint?

Thanks.

Raymond

to offer.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

Re: Question about checkpoint!

Posted by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com>.
Raymond Raymond wrote:
> In current derby checkpoint implementation, a disk I/O burst
> will be caused during checkpoint. To solve this problem, I am
> trying to spread out the disk I/O of checkpoint over the checkpoint
> interval. I found there are several things that can trigger a
> checkpoint such as too much log generated since the last
> checkpoint,data backup, before data compress, when a database
> creation finished and so on. I am not sure should I spread out
> the disk I/O of all kinds of checkpoint? or just the one triggered
> when too much log has been generated since last checkpoint?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Raymond

> Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet
> has to offer.
>  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the
> first two months FREE*.

Depends on what is the effect on checkpoint operation by spreading out
the disk i/o.  If the checkpoints are going to take more time, then
doing this optimization may not be good idea  for checkpoint during a
shutdown. In other cases I would think it is ok if a checkpoint
finishes in a reasonable amount of time.

thanks
-suresht