Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Horwitz <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/07 14:44:48 UTC

War plugin does not include optional dependencies in WEB-INF/lib

Hi,

I was surprised to find recently that the war plugin explicitly excludes all
dependencies marked as optional from the WEB-INF/lib directory. Surely the
optional tag on a dependency relates purely to transitive inheritance of
dependencies between projects and all dependencies on the runtime classpath
(which includes optional dependencies) should be included in WEB-INF/lib?

Thanks

Mike Horwitz

Re: War plugin does not include optional dependencies in WEB-INF/lib

Posted by David Whitehurst <dl...@gmail.com>.
Mike:

How responsive were the "war-plugin" folks when you made suggestions about
the overlays? I've been on and off the other lists so I lost the history so
to speak.  I feel like you deeply understand the needs of "todays" web
packaging and some umph.. in diplomacy might help things.  I'm beginning to
see that Matt can't do all things but we should try to help Matt say the
words maybe on this one.  Doesn't it seem like we need the help a lot from
the other groups?  That means this stuff is out there.

You may be changing the future of WAR packaging.  It's truly a different way
of doing things.

And, maybe the Maven folks, didn't see overlays (transitive needs) when they
designed the optional tag.  Inversion of Library needs (IOL) ... write it
down and don't let Fowler have the coined acronym.

David