Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adam Hardy <Ad...@nomadsoft.com> on 2006/05/24 11:52:26 UTC

RE: Surefire-2.2-SNAPSHOT and UnsupportedClassVersionError - more info

When I run 'mvn test', I get a stacktrace from the surefire-booter
saying UnsupportedClassVersionError as follows.  This is a recap of my
minimal project which I'm going to use as the base for a bug in jira.

[INFO] Surefire report directory:
C:\Projects\cortex\back-end\target\surefire-reports
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireExecutionException:
com/cortex/base/domain/card/CardFinderTest (Unsupported major.minor
version 49.0);
nested except is java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
com/cortex/base/domain/card/CardFinderTest (Unsupported major.minor
version 49.0)
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
com/cortex/base/domain/card/CardFinderTest
(Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.IsolatedClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedC
lassLoader.java:88)
        at
org.apache.maven.surefire.suite.AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.locateTestSet
s(AbstractDirect...
        at
org.apache.maven.surefire.Surefire.createSuiteFromDefinition(Surefire.ja
va:147)
        at org.apache.maven.surefire.Surefire.run(Surefire.java:108)
        at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.runSuitesInProcess(Suref
ireBooter.java:220)
        at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.main(SurefireBooter.java
:733)

I have JDK1.5.0_06 as my JAVA_HOME and this is the compiler plugin
config:

      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <source>1.5</source>
          <target>1.5</target>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

I started with clean code base, checked for stray .class files, and the
local repository is empty. I specified the following for my remote
repositories:

   <pluginRepositories>
      <pluginRepository>
         <id>apache.snapshots</id>
         <url>http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository</url>
      </pluginRepository>
   </pluginRepositories>
   <repositories>
      <repository>
           <id>apache.snapshots</id>
           <url>http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository</url>
         </repository>
   </repositories>

I specified the latest maven-surefire-plugin-2.2-SNAPSHOT

      <plugin>
        <version>2.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
      </plugin>

And I can see the maven downloads the snapshots for
maven-surefire-plugin-2.2 (<version>2.2-20060507.223157-4</version>) and
surefire-2.0. It is using   <version>2.0-20060507.230910-3</version> for
surefire-booter, surefire-api, surefire-junit and surefire-providers.

I have an associate (Marco) for whom this set-up works, so I assume that
he has earlier versions of the jars.

My next step is to try to run it with those versions, and if that
doesn't work, to compile from source.

Failing that, and if there is no more help available on the list or as a
result of this new jira issue, I may have to contact the developers
mentioned in the poms.

Thanks
Adam