Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/23 23:46:58 UTC

Dependabot emails are filling my mailbox

After secretary emails, emails related to Dependabot are the next most common message in my mailbox. I’ve already had to clear out several gigs of emails, and these Dependabot rebases and relentless updates are making it impossible to follow anything on the mailing lists anymore.

Proposal: all Dependabot messages should be batched into a digest email or similar. I don’t need multiple notifications per PR, and I don’t need dozens of Jira issues commented on for no good reason. Alternative: disable Dependabot as a failed experiment.

—
Matt Sicker

Re: Dependabot emails are filling my mailbox

Posted by Robert Middleton <rm...@apache.org>.
I haven't tried it, but if you go to your settings for Github you can
set dependabot to not notify you.

That doesn't affect the notifications@ list of course.

-Robert Middleton

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Alright, I found the setting related to this and disabled it. Hopefully this will address most of the Dependabot noise and make the tool useful again!
—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On a normal GitHub project, you’d only be notified once. Instead, we’re getting personal emails, list emails, Jira emails (to both personal emails and list emails), needless rebasing on a branch (!!), and pinging every single Jira issue in the rebased history. It’s spamming over ten emails where one is sufficient.

—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Seems like that fixed the issue. Carry on,, Dependabot!

—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Just filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-23722

—

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
What filters did you set up? That might be a sufficient fix.

—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.