Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2011/02/22 09:45:44 UTC

When do we drop Java 5 support?

Hi all,

now that camel dropped Java 5 I am asking myself when will we also drop
support for Java 5 in CXF? As CXF 2.4.0 allows some bigger changes than
a minor version we could do that in my opinion.

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: When do we drop Java 5 support?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.
All  true.

--
Glen Mazza
Software Engineer, Talend (http://www.talend.com)

Re: When do we drop Java 5 support?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.
I think, if only because of the nontrivial amount of upgrade work Dan
was mentioning earlier, we'll be keeping 1.5 at least for CXF 2.4.

I do have a philosophical concern about staying *too* much in the past
though.  In my view, for the open source model to work, it needs to be
for the benefit of both the user community and the committers working on
it.  Committers should be better skilled/better marketable as a result
of their volunteer efforts (much in the same lawyers become with pro
bono work), and if the API lags too many years behind present
technologies you end up having a smaller committer pool and hence a
less-valuable product (even if it works with older Java versions).  To
give an extreme example, users who can't leave the Commodore 64 may need
to look for a commercial solution rather than us trying to recruit
committers into supporting it to their own personal detriment.  Stated
another way, rather than ask "What's good for the users?" a better
question might be "What's good for the users *and* committers?"

Glen

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.

Posted by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by robert <ro...@gliesian.com>.
Just FYI...

Java SE 5.0 went EOL October 2009:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html.

Extended Oracle business support for Java SE 5.0 ends May 2014.  Though
premier supports ends May 2011, which is coming right up.

Considering Java SE 7, I personally feel that Camel did the right
thing.

-- Robert

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.
Probably nice to drop Java 5 with CXF 2.4.0, especially if there's any
architectural cobwebs in CXF necessitated by supporting it;  apparently
though ActiveMQ still supports Java 5
(http://activemq.apache.org/getting-started.html#GettingStarted-PreInstallationRequirements).

Glen