Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/06 08:08:57 UTC

Desktop as a service

Hello Everybody,

I am new to cloudstack so I dont know if I am going off the topic here. I
wished to know how to setup Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI) using
cloudstack. I browsed the net and found that openstack has the capabilities
to setup this feature. Does cloudstack can be used to deploy such a
service? If yes some links for the same would be highly appreciated. Also
if cloudstack does not have that capability then is there some alternative
to this?

Another thing I wanted to know is how to instantiate virtual machines
automatically if the load is increased. Have read about load balancing and
I guess its regarding this only.

The architecture I wish to setup is to provide VDI to several users on
demand via browsers, where the compute is done on the virtual machines. Now
when suppose 10 users are simultaneously using this Virtual Desktop the
load on the VM increases so cloudstanck spawns another VM to share the load
of these 10 users to 5 each on these two VMs created. I hope my doubt is
clear.

Regards

Re: Desktop as a service

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
I don’t know of a good OSS alternative to XenDesktop. From what I’ve seen on Cantivo’s site, no source was released and what was released hasn’t had an update in a few years. VCL I think of more for lab management than virtualized desktop orchestration. Spice itself looks like it has potential, but i haven’t looked deep enough to see how ready-to-go it is, maybe somebody else can chime in. I’m not aware of anybody working on Spice/ACS integration, yet.

John

Re: Desktop as a service

Posted by Ignazio Cassano <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi, if you do not want to modify acs to add spice support you could use
ovirt : it is not a desktop as a service platform but it let you to add
some user permissions  and it supports spice.
Regards

Ignazio

Re: Desktop as a service

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.