Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Marc Poll Garcia <ma...@upcnet.es> on 2016/10/25 11:20:44 UTC

cloudstack 4.5.2 upgrade best practices

Hello guys,

I'm having some doubts and questions about which is the best way to
upgrade our current Cloudstack platform, to a newer and better one (bug
fixes, new features, etc...)

I would like to know about the known issues and troubles that we can be
exposed during the upgrade process, and the most important thing for me
if there's any version better to avoid in our case.

We currently have a 4 x hipervisors cluster with "VMWare ESXi 5.5.0" and
"Cloudstack 4.5.2" installed on them.

In addition, i saw it should be done in two steps and same procedure
twice, first moving from 4.5.2 to 4.6 and then 4.6 to 4.7, i found the
upgrade documentation here:

Upgrade to 4.6
<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.6.0/upgrade/upgrade-4.5.html>

Upgrade to 4.7
<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.7.0/upgrade/upgrade-4.6.html>

Could you help me on it?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

--
Marc Poll Garcia
Technology Infrastructure

Aquest correu electr�nic pot contenir informaci� confidencial o legalment protegida i est� exclusivament dirigit a la persona o entitat  destinat�ria. Si vost� no �s el destinatari final o persona encarregada de recollir-lo, no est� autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar el seu contingut. Si ha rebut aquest correu electr�nic per error, li preguem que informi al remitent i elimini del seu sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir.
Gr�cies per la seva col.laboraci�.
*** Si us plau, no m'imprimeixis. Vull seguir sent digital ***
*** Por favor, no me imprimas. Quiero seguir siendo digital ***
*** Please, don't print me. I want to remain digital ***

Re: Re: cloudstack 4.5.2 upgrade best practices

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Marc,

The ACS community strives to make every release stable. Since every company has their own unique feature requirements, it's important (as Dag pointed out) for each organization to lab up any upgrade and test the features you're using to make sure the release works as you expect.

Currently supported releases are 4.7.x, 4.8.x and 4.9.x. 4.7.x will be dropped once 4.10 is released. Here at ENA, we're running our own 4.8.2 release.

- Si

________________________________
Data:    Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:27:27 +0000
De:      Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>
Respon a:        users@cloudstack.apache.org
A:       users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>

Hi Marc,

You don’t have to upgrade to each minor version – in other words you only need to carry out one upgrade to your target version. In general we advise our customers to test the upgrade in a non-production environment to ensure everything works OK.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo

On 25/10/2016, 12:20, "Marc Poll Garcia" <ma...@upcnet.es> wrote:

     Hello guys,

     I'm having some doubts and questions about which is the best way to
     upgrade our current Cloudstack platform, to a newer and better one (bug
     fixes, new features, etc...)

     I would like to know about the known issues and troubles that we can be
     exposed during the upgrade process, and the most important thing for me
     if there's any version better to avoid in our case.

     We currently have a 4 x hipervisors cluster with "VMWare ESXi 5.5.0" and
     "Cloudstack 4.5.2" installed on them.

     In addition, i saw it should be done in two steps and same procedure
     twice, first moving from 4.5.2 to 4.6 and then 4.6 to 4.7, i found the
     upgrade documentation here:

     Upgrade to 4.6
     <http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.6.0/upgrade/upgrade-4.5.html>
Upgrade Instruction from 4.5.x - Apache CloudStack<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.6.0/upgrade/upgrade-4.5.html>
docs.cloudstack.apache.org
Upgrade Instruction from 4.5.x¶ This section will guide you from CloudStack 4.5.x to CloudStack 4.6. Any steps that are hypervisor-specific will be called out with a ...

     Upgrade to 4.7
     <http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.7.0/upgrade/upgrade-4.6.html>
Upgrade Instruction from 4.6.x - Apache CloudStack<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.7.0/upgrade/upgrade-4.6.html>
docs.cloudstack.apache.org
Upgrade Instruction from 4.6.x¶ This section will guide you from CloudStack 4.6.x to CloudStack 4.7. Any steps that are hypervisor-specific will be called out with a ...

     Could you help me on it?

     Thanks in advance.
     Regards.

     --
     Marc Poll Garcia
     Technology Infrastructure
     UPCnet
     Edifici Vèrtex - Pl. Eusebi Güell, 6 Soterrani 1
     08034 BARCELONA
     Telèfon centraleta: +34 93 401 16 00
     Telèfon directe: +34 93.405.43.57
     Fax: +34 93 401 25 75

     Aquest correu electrònic pot contenir informació confidencial o legalment protegida i està exclusivament dirigit a la persona o entitat  destinatària. Si vostè no és el destinatari final o persona encarregada de recollir-lo, no està autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar el seu contingut. Si ha rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, li preguem que informi al remitent i elimini del seu sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir.
     Gràcies per la seva col.laboració.
     *** Si us plau, no m'imprimeixis. Vull seguir sent digital ***
     *** Por favor, no me imprimas. Quiero seguir siendo digital ***
     *** Please, don't print me. I want to remain digital ***

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
ShapeBlue - The CloudStack Company<http://www.shapeblue.com/>
www.shapeblue.com
Last year we had a project which required us to build out a KVM environment which used shared storage. Most often

@shapeblue

Fwd: Re: cloudstack 4.5.2 upgrade best practices

Posted by Marc Poll Garcia <ma...@upcnet.es>.
Good afternoon Dag Sonstebo,

Thanks for that quick answer, as an extra question about it, do you know
which is the best version to upgrade in our case with our current
Cloudstack version (4.5.2)? And also is there's any version which is not
worth to go due to known issues, and better for us to avoid?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Assumpte: 	Re: cloudstack 4.5.2 upgrade best practices
Data: 	Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:27:27 +0000
De: 	Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>
Respon a: 	users@cloudstack.apache.org
A: 	users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>

Hi Marc,

You don\u2019t have to upgrade to each minor version \u2013 in other words you only need to carry out one upgrade to your target version. In general we advise our customers to test the upgrade in a non-production environment to ensure everything works OK.