Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Clifton <cl...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/16 15:12:04 UTC

Priorities of properties

AM I confused or does Maven override command line properties with profile
properties in the pom and profiles.xml? Shouldn't command line properties
always take precedence? Could somebody explain the priority order of
properties in Maven? I've been trying to do things like have a switch in one
profile activate another but this doesn't seem to work well. I've also run
into issues where profiles.xml properties collide with or shadow pom.xml
properties. Is there an in depth explanation of how all this is supposed to
work?

RE: Priorities of properties

Posted by Bernhard David <da...@elca.ch>.
Hello,

You're right - I've had this issue before too. IMO, the order of loading
is this (higher numbers override lower)

1. System and command-line properties
2. Local pom.xml
3. Global settings.xml

I guess the issue is that system and command-line properties cannot be
distinguished at the moment, and it is desirable to have explicitly set
pom properties override system ones.

Yours,

David