Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Dm...@toyota.com.au on 2004/10/28 02:30:40 UTC

validation error messages

hello everyone,

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to present validation messages
to users who don't know anything about XML and am digging around for
better ways to present these errors.  atm I'm presenting something like
"Decimal (0) is less than min inclusive facet (1) for xs:positiveInteger"
which confuses the RA, let alone the users (o:

So....  a little digging.  I was wondering if it might back sense to add a
stack to ValidationContext so that when the various validators called
invalid it could add some document context to the error message.
Obviously this isn't going to uniquely identify the error as a simple
stack expression (I'm picturing something like
/Vehicle/Model/Variant/NumberOfCylanders) might point to multiple
locations in the document.

Another question.  Is there any reason why the line/column information
isn't populated when a filename isn't available?  I'm about to start
diving into the code and will see what I learn, but I'd like to think that
its possible to provide at least an element name that caused the
validation failure....

thoughts?

cheers
dim

DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorized to copy
or disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent
of Toyota.

Opinions expressed in this email and any attachment are those of the
sender and not necessarily the opinions of Toyota.
Please scan this email and any attachment for viruses.
Toyota does not accept any responsibility for problems
caused by viruses, whether it is Toyota's fault or not.