Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2005/03/16 12:02:31 UTC

Re: svn commit: r157582 - in lenya/trunk/src/webapp/lenya: cmsmenus.xsp pubs/default/config/menus/generic.xsp pubs/default/menus.xmap

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
>  > The "component overriding" is a means of white-box reuse (comparable to
>  > OO inheritance). This approach suffers from many drawbacks:
>  >
>  > - You don't access a component via its interface, but via its
>  >   implementation. This means you have access to internals. If the
>  >   original implementation changes, you'll end up with problems.
>  >
>  > - Collaboration between components isn't clearly visible anymore.
>  >
>  > In OO development, the "prefer composition to inheritance" principle
>  > addresses this issue. IMO it should be applied to non-java
>  > components as well.
>
> Valid points.
>
> So are you saying:
>
> - As an immediate solution, beeing possible today, have no menu in the
> core but rather use the Default Publication as a template to new ones.
> - In the medium run: Rethink and define contracts! I think a lot of
> discussions end in that.

Yes, in my opinion that should be the way to go. I agree that
creating a menu is far too difficult at the moment. But I'm
optimistic that we can further simplify it. One aspect is the
move of menu logic to usecase handlers, another aspect is the
introduction of plug-ins and automatic menu composition.

Thanks for bringing all these thoughts up, I hope we find a
reasonable roadmap to implement them :)

-- Andreas