Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2017/10/08 18:59:14 UTC

[MENTORS] Information abot Voting process (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5)

Hey,

I have a few questions:

 * What are the requirements for a positive vote?
 * Is really everyone elligible to vote? I think I read somewhere, that
   only the PPMC members are.

Thank you

Matthias

Re: [MENTORS] Information abot Voting process (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> ... * What are the requirements for a positive vote?...

The Apache voting process is described at
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

The goal is to *build consensus*, not necessarily vote on every
decision. Votes are generally used for "important" things like
releases where we need a documented trace of the consensus, but the
are other ways to build consensus.

>  * Is really everyone elligible to vote? I think I read somewhere, that
>    only the PPMC members are.

From formal point of view it's Apache PMCs
(https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html) which make
decisions that represent the ASF.

So in a release vote for example, or to elect someone to a new ASF
role, it's only the votes of the PMC members which are "binding", i.e.
which formally count.

However, all community members are welcome to vote, and if their
opinion significantly differs form the PMC's it *should* be taken into
account, or at least the PMC should note the disagreement and do their
best to act on it. But the final decision rests with the PMC.

As a podling, NetBeans is managed by the Incubator PMC so technically
it's only votes from Incubator PMC members which count. But given that
a podling is a PMC in training, during an important vote (like a
release) the podling considers the PPMC member's votes as binding, and
then acts the Incubator PMC to ratify the decision.

Hope this helps clarify things!

-Bertrand