Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/11 14:51:18 UTC

Maven 3 alphas...

Just an observation...

I read in some thread Jason saying that we should probably be in a position
to spin alphas weekly going forward now...

That would lead me to suspect that we may have more than 9 alphas...

Which gives fun with version comparison... do we want to make the next alpha
3.0-alpha-31 rather than 3.0-alpha-4 to give us more breathing space before
we have to move to 3.0-beta-1 (or better yet 3.0-beta-01)

-Stephen

Re: Maven 3 alphas...

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2009-11-11, at 2:51 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> Just an observation...
>
> I read in some thread Jason saying that we should probably be in a
> position
> to spin alphas weekly going forward now...

Yup, we should be able to release on a weekly  basis. I think as soon
as alpha-3 comes out we'll be ready for another one. The requirement
is that we have fixed something or improved something and then we can
release again. The ITs should ensure this at this point with sheer
amount of testing we have.

> That would lead me to suspect that we may have more than 9 alphas...

Not really, it's more a matter of when the APIs are stable and we
can't find any more problems. Could be 5, 10, 25. We won't know until
more people start using it.

> Which gives fun with version comparison... do we want to make the
> next alpha
> 3.0-alpha-31 rather than 3.0-alpha-4 to give us more breathing space
> before
> we have to move to 3.0-beta-1 (or better yet 3.0-beta-01)

I'm not overly worried about it.

> -Stephen

Thanks,

Jason