Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by "Sanders, Arbin D" <as...@NCCU.EDU> on 2012/06/02 01:10:53 UTC

Network Setup

All,

>From the documentation, VCL has to have two networks, Private and Public. My question is can they be setup within VMware where the public IP can routed through the eth0 and get a DHCP address and the private IP can be routed through a vSwitch?

Do all of you have two vlans provided by a physical switch?

Any info would be helpful.

Arbin Darren Sanders

IT Manager - Academic Computing
North Carolina Central University
712 Cecil Street
Suite 3014
Durham, NC 27707
919.530.6307
919.530.5097 (Fax)

For the Latest ITS Updates and Tips Join Us Online    [cid:image001.png@01CD4029.62ED5450] <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=66100342#!/pages/Durham-NC/NCCU-Eagle-Technical-Assistance-Center-ETAC/249508718552?v=info>      [cid:image002.png@01CD4029.62ED5450] <http://twitter.com/NCCUETAC>

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Re: Network Setup

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Arbin,

Generally, public addresses are handled by a DHCP server.  However, if one it
not available, VCL can manage the public addresses directly.  So, VCL does not
always expect to manage the external addresses.

I'm not that strong with VMware, but I believe both the public and private
networks will need to go through vSwitches.  However, you should be able to
set up those vSwitches so that they are both connected to the same physical
NIC with one of them set up to be on a separate VLAN.

Josh

- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Network Setup

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Network Setup

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Arbin,

I have a little VCL playground set up on a Dell desktop configured
similarly to what you described. The public network is on a vSwitch that
routes through eth0, but it has a single static IP assigned to it so I
don't use DHCP. The private network is only connected via a (different)
vSwitch.

I think the challenge will come in with the DHCP part. I believe the VCL
software expects to manage the assignment of external IP addresses to VMs.
In other words, it assumes a block of routable IPv4 addresses are assigned
to it to manage. Hence a DHCP server on the external network would conflict
with the VCL management of those addresses. Someone with more experience
setting things up could tell you for sure but that is how I understand it
to work.

Mark

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Sanders, Arbin D <as...@nccu.edu> wrote:

> All,****
>
> ** **
>
> From the documentation, VCL has to have two networks, Private and Public.
> My question is can they be setup within VMware where the public IP can
> routed through the eth0 and get a DHCP address and the private IP can be
> routed through a vSwitch?****
>
> ** **
>
> Do all of you have two vlans provided by a physical switch?****
>
> ** **
>
> Any info would be helpful.****
>
> ** **
>
> *Arbin Darren Sanders*****
>
>  ****
>
> IT Manager – Academic Computing****
>
> North Carolina Central University****
>
> 712 Cecil Street****
>
> Suite 3014****
>
> Durham, NC 27707****
>
> 919.530.6307****
>
> 919.530.5097 (Fax)****
>
> ** **
>
> *For the Latest ITS Updates and Tips Join Us Online** **   **[image:
> cid:image003.png@01CB6AD0.97665900]*<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=66100342#!/pages/Durham-NC/NCCU-Eagle-Technical-Assistance-Center-ETAC/249508718552?v=info>
> *     *[image: Description: Description: Description: Description:
> cid:image004.png@01CB6AD0.97665900] <http://twitter.com/NCCUETAC>****
>
>  ****
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
> confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized
> disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
> please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.****
>
> ** **

Mark Gardner

Re: Network Setup

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Arbin,

I have a little VCL playground set up on a Dell desktop configured
similarly to what you described. The public network is on a vSwitch that
routes through eth0, but it has a single static IP assigned to it so I
don't use DHCP. The private network is only connected via a (different)
vSwitch.

I think the challenge will come in with the DHCP part. I believe the VCL
software expects to manage the assignment of external IP addresses to VMs.
In other words, it assumes a block of routable IPv4 addresses are assigned
to it to manage. Hence a DHCP server on the external network would conflict
with the VCL management of those addresses. Someone with more experience
setting things up could tell you for sure but that is how I understand it
to work.

Mark

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Sanders, Arbin D <as...@nccu.edu> wrote:

> All,****
>
> ** **
>
> From the documentation, VCL has to have two networks, Private and Public.
> My question is can they be setup within VMware where the public IP can
> routed through the eth0 and get a DHCP address and the private IP can be
> routed through a vSwitch?****
>
> ** **
>
> Do all of you have two vlans provided by a physical switch?****
>
> ** **
>
> Any info would be helpful.****
>
> ** **
>
> *Arbin Darren Sanders*****
>
>  ****
>
> IT Manager – Academic Computing****
>
> North Carolina Central University****
>
> 712 Cecil Street****
>
> Suite 3014****
>
> Durham, NC 27707****
>
> 919.530.6307****
>
> 919.530.5097 (Fax)****
>
> ** **
>
> *For the Latest ITS Updates and Tips Join Us Online** **   **[image:
> cid:image003.png@01CB6AD0.97665900]*<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=66100342#!/pages/Durham-NC/NCCU-Eagle-Technical-Assistance-Center-ETAC/249508718552?v=info>
> *     *[image: Description: Description: Description: Description:
> cid:image004.png@01CB6AD0.97665900] <http://twitter.com/NCCUETAC>****
>
>  ****
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
> confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized
> disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
> please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.****
>
> ** **

Mark Gardner