Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Krishnakumar B <ww...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/30 12:13:18 UTC

Newbie help : Debugging/Running modules in Eclipse

Hi,

I have set up projects for Geronimo modules in eclipse. I am not clear how to
try out the modules like ( Kernel, Axis-Builder, Mail, Security... ).
Can anyone tell me how to run/debug these modules in Dev environment.

Regards
BK

Re: Newbie help : Debugging/Running modules in Eclipse

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Well you need to set up a configuration to debug the server.  There are
a few issues from a development standpoint that are still yet to be
resolved, but for invoking the server in debug mode through Eclipse, I
was able to do.

I created a run/debug configuration for both the Server and the Deployer
as a Java Application.  I added the server.jar and the deployer.jar to
the classpath for each of the configurations respectively.  On the first
break point, the debugger will kick in but won't resolve the source,
which can be easily fixed by simply adding all the projects in the
workspace to the source lookup path.  I haven't played with it further
to see if the way I did it would lead to further problems when running
other services (modules), but I was atleast able to trace through the
starting of the server.  I would assume from then you could run specific
scenarios that invoke modules/area's of code you wanted to step through.

Currently the .classpath entries reference dependent modules from the
repository, rather then the imported project(s).  So if you make code
changes this will get you out of sync, unless you update the repository
as well.  So there are two paths for this solution, to either reference
the dependent projects at a higher sort order, or after every build,
ensure that the jars in the repository are in-sync.

I'm currently looking into resolving this issue, either through using
the mavenide plugin or providing a custom solution so that Eclipse
can be easily configured to develop and debug Geronimo.

Any ideas or help we would all appreciate!

Thanks.

Sachin Patel.