Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by fr...@pandora.be on 2004/08/16 10:26:30 UTC

Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Hi,

We have a main application that renders a SVG. We also have to create a zoomwindow on that rendered svg in the main application window. This zoomwindow is a floating window. The zoomwindow enlarges the area around the mouse pointer on the main window.

The functionality is more or less the same as in the DWG Viewer
"Free DWG Viewer from Brava!" (http://www.infograph.com/products/dwgviewer/)

How could we do this without rendering the svg 2 times?

Thx,
Frederik

Re: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Frederik,

    Batik does have limited support for sharing GVT tree's (yes the
element in the tree are 'GraphicsNode').  You can take a look at
the ThumbnailDialog for the squiggle browser (you sort of want to
do the inverse).  As I said below we don't support updating the
second display but you can share the tree.

RE: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

> I want to do automatic updates via the update manager in both the
> zoomwindow as in the application window. Can I do this in 1 step or do
> have to perform the update (dom manipulation) in both updatemanagers
of
> the JSVGCanvas of the application window and the one of the
zoomwindow?

    It depends on how you set things up.  If you just have two
JSVGCanvas windows then you should have two totally independent
documents and  you would have to update both documents.  If you set it
up so the zoom window uses the same GVT tree as the overview then just
updating the overview will update the rendering tree used by the zoom
window, although currently only the overview window will get the
needed  repaint requests.  You would either have to extend the
UpdateManager to trigger updates in multiple destinations, or perhaps
just repaint the entire zoom window.

    Sorry, but you are working at the edges of what Batik supports.  I
think what you are doing is interesting and useful to support but it
isn't quite there yet.  I hope you will consider working on these
issues and contributing back.

> Frederik

---

Re: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.

RE: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Re: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Frederik,

Re: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Posted by Frederik Santens <fr...@pandora.be>.

Re: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.

RE: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas

Posted by Frederik Santens <fr...@pandora.be>.
Hi,

We also need to render the svg of the main application on a screen of 30
metres. When I render an svg on a jpanel of 5000 pixel I already get a
OutofMemory exception. Is this normal?

    I don't there is an easy way to achieve this.  Depending on how
much you expect to pan around the document you might consider
rendering the whole document once at the higher resolution and
downsampling for the 'overview' display.

    My suspicion is that they just re-render the portion under
the 'magnifier'.  You should be able to set things up so that
the two windows use the same GVT tree which would save you the
memory overhead of having two copies of the document in
memory.  You can look at the Thumbnail stuff in squiggle for
an example.

frederik.santens@pandora.be wrote:

> We have a main application that renders a SVG. We also have to create
a zoomwindow on that rendered svg in the main application window. This
zoomwindow is a floating window. The zoomwindow enlarges the area around
the mouse pointer on the main window.

> The functionality is more or less the same as in the DWG Viewer
> "Free DWG Viewer from Brava!"
(http://www.infograph.com/products/dwgviewer/)

> How could we do this without rendering the svg 2 times?
>
> Thx,
> Frederik

---

Re: Zoomwindow on SVGCanvas