Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/04/23 23:45:41 UTC

Dependent component versions for 1.0 release

Atlas dev,

Please review the following component versions used by upcoming Apache Atlas 1.0 release:

  - Hadoop:     2.7.1

  - JanusGraph: 0.2.0

  - TinkerPop:  3.2.6

  - HBase:      1.1.2

  - Solr:       5.5.1

  - Kafka:      1.0.0

  - Jackson:    2.9.2

  - Spring:     4.3.8

  - Hive:       1.2.1

  - Sqoop:      1.4.6

  - Storm:      1.2.0

Based on earlier discussions, support for Hadoop 3 will be taken up in a subsequent release, perhaps 3.1.

Regards,

Madhan

Re: Dependent component versions for 1.0 release

Posted by Nigel Jones <ni...@gmail.com>.

On 2018/04/26 13:04:15, Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> So I would recommend trying 4.3.16 and 1.5.12.
I concur based on prereqs from the maven repo.
I do think it's worth considering moving to 5x/2x *AFTER* the 1.0 release. We would gain full java 8 spring support, compatability with java 9+ & some more reactive UI capabilities. More generally we should probably review other dependencies too though on a case by case basis

Re: Dependent component versions for 1.0 release

Posted by Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Madhan

Currently we have Spring 4.3.8 and SpringBoot 1.5.7, but should update to
at least 4.3.11 and 1.5.7 as these are documented as compatible versions.
Probably better than that (but as yet untried in Atlas) would be 4.3.16
and 1.5.12 - also documented as compatible.
Spring has gone to v5 recently (Sep '17) and SpringBoot to v2 (Mar '18) -
but I would suggest that we may not want to venture across a version
boundary this close to the Atlas 1.0.0 release.

So I would recommend trying 4.3.16 and 1.5.12.

If anyone has any other information or opinions then please get involved
:-)

Best regards,
  Graham

Graham Wallis
IBM Analytics
Internet: graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com
IBM Laboratories, Hursley Park, Hursley, Hampshire SO21 2JN
Tel: +44 7741 379735

From:   Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>
To:     "dev@atlas.apache.org" <de...@atlas.apache.org>
Date:   25/04/2018 16:18
Subject:        Re: Dependent component versions for 1.0 release

Mandy,

What is the Spring version to target?

Thanks,
Madhan

On 4/25/18, 1:36 AM, "Mandy Chessell" <ma...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    Dear all,
    I think we should move to the latest level of the spring
framework/boot

    All the best
    Mandy
    Mandy Chessell CBE FREng CEng FBCS
    IBM Distinguished Engineer

    Master Inventor
    Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
    Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of
    Sheffield

    Email: mandy_chessell@uk.ibm.com
    LinkedIn:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.linkedin.com_pub_mandy-2Dchessell_22_897_a49&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=Li6zJa6pLsu8dGS1GSW1j00glumVmLp0H5HVkn5QyAA&m=cphlXXIJynuE1fFJBdNBQBBW5yzK__jyCKxX2gweoZA&s=JyJR7lTN773ul90sNcw3AaSMuQmPCsc50WSOH_63428&e=

    Assistant: Janet Brooks - jsbrooks12@uk.ibm.com

    From:   Nigel Jones <ni...@gmail.com>
    To:     <de...@atlas.apache.org>
    Date:   24/04/2018 17:01

    On 2018/04/24 13:04:59, Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com>
wrote:

    > Do we need to include anything about development versions including
    Maven,
    > Java, etc?

    I think it would be worth mentioning in readme/ wiki build, though now
we
    have the maven-enforcer in place we know the min prereq java is java 8

    update 151 & maven 3.5.0 which aren't far off (latest 172 - jdk
11/18.10
    is next lts and could be 'interesting', and maven 3.5.3)

    Post-release I think there's a few other questions about specific
    component versions (and pom standardization where it makes sense), but
    wouldn't change anything close to release

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Dependent component versions for 1.0 release

Posted by Madhan Neethiraj <ma...@apache.org>.
Mandy,

    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mandy-chessell/22/897/a49

    Assistant: Janet Brooks - jsbrooks12@uk.ibm.com

    From:   Nigel Jones <ni...@gmail.com>
    To:     <de...@atlas.apache.org>
    Date:   24/04/2018 17:01

    On 2018/04/24 13:04:59, Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    > Do we need to include anything about development versions including
    Maven,
    > Java, etc?

    I think it would be worth mentioning in readme/ wiki build, though now we
    have the maven-enforcer in place we know the min prereq java is java 8
    update 151 & maven 3.5.0 which aren't far off (latest 172 - jdk 11/18.10
    is next lts and could be 'interesting', and maven 3.5.3)

    Post-release I think there's a few other questions about specific
    component versions (and pom standardization where it makes sense), but I

From:   Nigel Jones <ni...@gmail.com>
To:     <de...@atlas.apache.org>
Date:   24/04/2018 17:01

Posted by Nigel Jones <ni...@gmail.com>.

On 2018/04/24 13:04:59, Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Do we need to include anything about development versions including Maven,
> Java, etc?

I think it would be worth mentioning in readme/ wiki build, though now we have the maven-enforcer in place we know the min prereq java is java 8 update 151 & maven 3.5.0 which aren't far off (latest 172 - jdk 11/18.10  is next lts and could be 'interesting', and maven 3.5.3)

Post-release I think there's a few other questions about specific component versions (and pom standardization where it makes sense), but I wouldn't change anything close to release

Re: Dependent component versions for 1.0 release