Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu> on 2002/06/17 12:26:40 UTC

[RT] Flow example (XMLForms and Flowmap related)

Hi all,

Attatched is a ,ahem, MS PowerPoint miniatyre slideware and a gif
describing a simple but IMO an effective pattern for building a web
based "enterprise" system. With enterprise I mean systems that is used
in daily work that needs to be fast, reliable, with the focus on data,
such as orders, customers and so on and not fancy looks.

Ok, here goes:

The miniatyre app is supposed to manage members of some type.
Data is stored in a database or accessed through a web service.
Using common sense one could model the entire flow och the app as the
attached image shows. Also supplied is a skectchy Flow javascript
implementation that aims to implement this. The simplicity is almost
breath-taking IMO. However in the perfoct world true MVC exists. In this
  world I seem to miss the model representation.

I consider xsp page and its serving pipline as view.
I consider javascript flow code as controller
I Still need to be able to model my data in a simple fashon.
With Stefano´s approach I guess a could run pipelines that executes esql
taglib or soap xsp but i need to be able to do desciscions based on the
data as well, not just request params. To do this I need to represent my
data in the Flow DOM or in beans.

Hope this sparkle further discussion, shoot at will

/Per-Olof Norén

Re: [RT] Flow example (XMLForms and Flowmap related)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Per-Olof Norén wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Attatched is a ,ahem, MS PowerPoint miniatyre slideware and a gif
> describing a simple but IMO an effective pattern for building a web
> based "enterprise" system. With enterprise I mean systems that is used
> in daily work that needs to be fast, reliable, with the focus on data,
> such as orders, customers and so on and not fancy looks.
>
> Ok, here goes:
>
> The miniatyre app is supposed to manage members of some type.
> Data is stored in a database or accessed through a web service.
> Using common sense one could model the entire flow och the app as the
> attached image shows. Also supplied is a skectchy Flow javascript
> implementation that aims to implement this. The simplicity is almost
> breath-taking IMO. However in the perfoct world true MVC exists. In this
>   world I seem to miss the model representation.

Yes, I see your point.

> I consider xsp page and its serving pipline as view.
> I consider javascript flow code as controller
> I Still need to be able to model my data in a simple fashon.

Javascript can call java directly. So, there is nothing wrong in using
the same 'model' concept that is used in other web-app framework to
write beans or even EJB that perform what you need.

> With Stefano´s approach I guess a could run pipelines that executes esql
> taglib or soap xsp but i need to be able to do desciscions based on the
> data as well, not just request params.

No, no, careful: the 'detachable pipeline' concept is for you to produce
XML using the same cocoon components, but connecting it to another
output stream which is not the client one (think of sending a PDF report
of your database via email using the same pipeline you use to generate
the PDF report to the web)

> To do this I need to represent my
> data in the Flow DOM or in beans.

yes, you should map your data model to beans or bean-like data
containers written in java and called by the flowmap. That gives you a
perfect MVC.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [RT] Flow example (XMLForms and Flowmap related)

Posted by Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>.
Sorry forgot to attach the javascript....

/Per-Olof